Will a Verizon SIM card work on Sony Xperia Z1 Compact (or other Sony unlocked phones)
skyp91

Hi,

The Sony Xperia Z1 Compact (among others) notes that it is not compatible with Verizon Wireless Network. I do not know if this is because it is tested and shown that there is no compatibility at all or if it's something assumed based on Verizon's CDMA network. And I do not know if this statement considers the fact that Verizon is transitioning over to GSM and does have SIM cards now.

I want to know if anyone has tried it regardless and if they were successful. Reason being is that I want to try getting the phone still.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Will a Verizon SIM card work on Sony Xperia Z1 Compact (or other Sony unlocked phones)
Snn5
Legend

Verizon uses CDMA, they will not be transitioning to GSM.  All carriers will go all LTE at some point.  The reason that Sony wont work is because it is not equipped with a CDMA antenna.  Verizon 4G phones use SIM cards.  Verizon phones can use select GSM signals, but voice is still handled over CDMA unless Advanced Calling is enabled carrying voice over LTE.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Will a Verizon SIM card work on Sony Xperia Z1 Compact (or other Sony unlocked phones)
Snn5
Legend

Verizon uses CDMA, they will not be transitioning to GSM.  All carriers will go all LTE at some point.  The reason that Sony wont work is because it is not equipped with a CDMA antenna.  Verizon 4G phones use SIM cards.  Verizon phones can use select GSM signals, but voice is still handled over CDMA unless Advanced Calling is enabled carrying voice over LTE.

0 Likes