Re: Will Verizon support Samsung Pay?
soapinmouth
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is only true if your card requires it. If you have a card without a chip, what are they going to do, not sell it to you?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

soapinmouth wrote:

This is only true if your card requires it. If you have a card without a chip, what are they going to do, not sell it to you?

No, not if your card requires it but if your card has the chip AND the terminal reads the chip it will require the physical card UNLESS it also accepts contactless payment.

If your card has the chip AND the terminal reads chips it WILL NOT accept a magnetic swipe, though, from that chipped card. A card without a chip does not fall into this category because, well, it does not have a chip.

Problem is, I don't get to choose whether or not my card has a chip. My card issuer gets to decide that, and it is unlikely I will EVER receive another card WITHOUT a chip as my current cards reach their expiration date(s). In fact, I have already received some cards BEFORE the expiration date on my current cards simply to give me a card with a chip in it.

soapinmouth
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah that's basically what I was trying to say, in any case where a chip is required, they will have nfc so Samsung pay will work in all cases. My chase card doesn't expire tell 2017 and it does not have a chip at the moment.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

You will get a new one soon I am sure. All of my cards that didn't have a chip have been sent new chipped cards in the last several months, even though expiration date was still years out.

Tidbits
Legend

soapinmouth wrote:

Yeah that's basically what I was trying to say, in any case where a chip is required, they will have nfc so Samsung pay will work in all cases. My chase card doesn't expire tell 2017 and it does not have a chip at the moment.

I have had 2 cards replaced.  One of them expired in 2018 I also had the original card less than 6 months before being issued a new one.  The other was supposed to expire next year(now the exp date is set 3 years from not just like the last card was).

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have only gotten one card with the chip and it was earlier then the expiration date on the previous card. I'm expecting a couple of cards to be sent in the next couple of months as they expire. I also haven't seen too many places where I can use the NFC terminal to make a purchase, but I haven't been looking hard. I was shocked however in February 2014 when I was in Cedar City, UT of all places to discover the local grocery store had Google Wallet on their credit card terminals allowing the customer to use NFC to make a purchase.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

soapinmouth wrote:

I disagree. I have gone to stores in my area, Walmart, which have terminals which read the chips yet do not accept contactless payments, so in this case, at least, a terminal which a chip is required DOES NOT have NFC.

0 Likes
ltolman1
Contributor - Level 1

Visit Looppay website.  First I have had Looppay since July 2014 or was it July 2013? I cant remember. I was able to use my Looppay device at my local walmart. Which BTW I work there too.  I have tested it and used it; sure there was some problems but also since I do work for Walmart I was able to relay some information to Looppay.

Chip Cards, well at my local store until recently we can get away with swiping it.  Now those that have chip cards seriously do have to insert.  However according to the Looppay's website it says "Looppay does support Chip Cards into the application and will work at a location that has a chip reader and has their EMV function turned on (for swiping).

Will LoopPay be compatible EMV or Chip Cards? : Customer Support

So yes, its all about Software upgrades.  Looppay though also says they are working hard to implement a fix and will make an announcement at some point.

Looppay is part of Samsung Pay...when Looppay fixes that hole; Samsung Pay should get the update as well.

Now I have like 6 credit cards and over 6 bank cards (don't ask LOL).  I have 2 Credit Cards that has chips in them. I'm seriously gonna attempt to re use my LoopPay Device with a chip card and see if I can make it work (seeing as I work for Walmart).  If I can, it just means that my store has the software and ability and also means that thankfully Samsung Pay will work flawlessly.

On the other hand though I'm working real hard on paying off those cards so I may not be using them too much

In the meantime please Verizon....support Samsung Pay

0 Likes
Beazer

I am appalled that Verizon (so far anyway) is not supporting Samsung Pay. Like many, Samsung Pay was a major reason I purchased the Note5. Silly me, I ASSUMED, that it would be supported by all major carriers. I don't know which planet Verizon is on, but they certainly don't have both oars in the water. Customer service is paramount and this action is just the opposite. I smell corporate greed. I've been with Verizon since cell service began but I will seriously consider moving to another carrier if this service is not provided by Verizon . . . soon, very soon!

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Let us know, this is useful information from someone that understands what changes are happening. 

0 Likes