Re: Will Verizon release a patch for the recently announced vulnerability of Android phones to hacking via text?
Whindy

How do I turn off the auto retrieve for MMS?

0 Likes
Re: Will Verizon release a patch for the recently announced vulnerability of Android phones to hacking via text?
Tidbits
Legend

That depends on the app and the phone. Which phone do you have?

0 Likes
Whindy

I have a Galaxy S5

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Open your messages app. Hit the 3 dot menu action button in the upper right. Tap settings. Tap multimedia messages. Unchecked Auto-retrieve. Back out and you are good to go.

derrydavis
Enthusiast - Level 3

Right and that's what I said, technically the don't touch the code. But they have a big say in the release of the code and what goes into a release package.

derrydavis
Enthusiast - Level 3

I agree. I'd just like a statement from Verizon to know what is going on. Oh well, I guess it's Lollipop all over again.

derrydavis
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ugh, that's disheartening. Sounds like the customers know more about what's going with on the issue than Verizon.

m-w-c
Enthusiast - Level 1

+1 -- need fix for Samsung Galaxy S4.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Actually they don't when it comes from security aspect of the device. HTC Heartbleed for example HTC pushed those out without carrier interference. Much like Samsung keyboard exploit they pushed out the fix through their push services which also updated their Knox security. No carrier is going to be held liable for an exploitation because they blocked the update from happening. Some food for thought.

SilentBobNJ
Enthusiast - Level 1

Is the vulnerability related to the default message app that comes with the phone, either S4 or S5? If so, can the default message app be disabled and replaced with a safer app?

0 Likes