Re: Will Verizon release a patch for the recently announced vulnerability of Android phones to hacking via text?
Tidbits
Legend

GC73 wrote:

I believe carriers get higher profit margins, still, on Android phones versus iPhone, so they would still make money if people switch but possibly less. My point is that the prevailing sentiment is that carriers drag their feet on releasing updates because they view doing so as costly/unprofitable. If they stop making as much money on their phones, though, because people get upset or don't want to leave themselves vulnerable to this type of thing and  switch to IPhone or something else the carriers have less control of, maybe the carriers will realize it's not profitable to neglect their customers. I really prefer Android but not if it leaves me open to this easy and serious an attack. I've turned off auto download of MMS messages for now, but that's an annoying and dubious long term solution.

Never confirmed so treat it as hearsay.  Like I said it isn't up to the carriers when it comes to security updates.  EVERY security update that was needed outside the scope of an OS update has ALWAYS been handed out by the manufacturer.  Show me one critical flaw that a carrier got involved and stopped the update from happening when the manufacturer wanted to push it out.  Like I said before carriers DO NOT want to be held liable for anything because they withheld a patch for a critical flaw.

Re: Will Verizon release a patch for the recently announced vulnerability of Android phones to hacking via text?
Mungoid

So i havent seen any new replies to this or new posts about stagefright in general the last few days. Any new info? Also, it is verizon we are waiting for right? Or is it Samsung?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

We are waiting for OEMs. Google already handed the patches to OEMs. HTC said their next update will have the patches but have not pushed out anything worldwide. Samsung hasn't said a thing.

DFranz2

I'm also waiting for a fix from Verizon.  Fixes to critical vulnerabilities like this should be released by Verizon as soon as possible after they are released.

0 Likes
GZRX
Contributor - Level 3

My Verizon S5 received a security update 8/10/15. I had to initiate the download, it was not automatic. The update is believed, according to some cell forums, to address the phone's vulnerability to text hack.

tysonef163
Enthusiast - Level 2

BUMP again.  Where's the answer Verizon?  take time out from counting all your money and answer your customers.

mmmmkay?

0 Likes
tysonef163
Enthusiast - Level 2

BUMP.  where's the answer Verizon?

0 Likes
ShawnJG
Enthusiast - Level 2

Maybe I missed it, but I've only seen the single VZW response by ArnettH_VZW, which seemed more like a bot answer that wasn't following the basic reason for the post thread. LG's "Monthly Updates" commitment seems to have fallen down. My phone is still vulnerable to Stagefright as we close on two months from the announcement.

All that feet dragging that Verizon does to "Test the updates to make sure I get the best service possible." has really not paid off. It may not be specific to VZW, but I'm sorely tired by the constant reminder that I can either pick up a brand new phone every few months or the manufacturers and carriers really could not care less about me.

If it takes this long to deal with these issues after the code patch has been released, LG and Verizon have proven that I need to do everything *I* can to avoid their "Value Add" of bloatware, delayed security fixes, and a lot of finger pointing.

Thank you Verizon for not only leaving me out in the cold, but not even providing me information to help protect me.

send2steph
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just updated my S6 with G920VVRU4BOG7 today (Sep 29) and three different detectors still say it's there.

Zimperium's Stagefright Detector tells which ones are there and which are cleared. It shows CVE-2015-3864 is still in the red as vulnerable.

Please, Verizon - please send the fix for this!