Wifi with KitKat
Leo59
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello

Yesterday morning my wife and I downloaded part one of the update on our respective phones. Now I can not connect to our Wifi at home however she can. We have the exact same phone bought on the exact same day. We have not updated the second part (KitKat?) yet.

I am not getting ANY data at all when I have WiFi 'on' however I send/receive just fine with WiFi "off" .

I've read a few other issues with the KitKat update and Verizon's fix all is to perform a FDR and don't want us having any problems any more than we do. But obviously we shouldn't have to do that since they 'approved' the new update.

I've rebooted (turned off the phone) several times. I 'removed' the wifi connection & re-connected it. I changed the Preferred network from Global back to LTE/CDMA mode.

Those are the things that I can think of . My wife and I looked for settings that might be different but can't find any that are different. The only thing that we've done different is she has not turned her phone off since the update and I have. Now we're afraid that if she does , she'll lose wifi as well.

And like I said  - neither of us have done part two of the update to complete the update. With all of the issues KK is having, I'm not sure that I want to complete the update.

Any ideas?

Labels (1)
Re: Wifi with KitKat
Waimon
Contributor - Level 3

Could be phone related. I downloaded both of the updates through 4G so not sure about the wifi. After downloading both updates I am not having any issues with wifi. Try downloading over 4G the second part of the upgrade and see if that fixes your problem.

0 Likes
Leo59
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can do that but my wife updated using our wifi as well so there is SOMETHING different going on with our respective phones. We've done everything identical.

0 Likes
drjswann

Since upgrade, I also cannot access anything over wifi. I've changed routers, security, and every setting I could think of. Turned off an on several times. The phone says "Connected", but will not load any website. Works fine over regular 3g/4g connection.

0 Likes
Not applicable

First download the complete update.

Turn phone on and off. See if problem is corrected.

If not do this in this order.

1- Turn off phones

2- Turn off Broadband modem.

3- Turn off Router.

Wait a few minutes then do this.

1- Turn broadband modem back on make sure to wait until fully stable.

2- Turn on router again make sure unit is fully stable.

3- Turn on your device and wait for it to find your network SSID

Click connect if found and then enter password. If connection is stable all is fixed.

If it does not connect, go into the routers settings and first see if there is a firmware update. If no update check security protocol used. I recommend WPA2-PSK or the strongest security you have.

Don't use an open network or WEP.

Again see if that fixed your issues.

As a last ditch fix, assign the phones to their own personal IP address in the routers settings. (instructions can be found in your owners manual)

Good Luck

pejac

I was having problems with my WIFI connection after the update also.  My connection kept resetting the proxy to "manual" and I was unable to access web pages or use certain apps.  I tried Elector  suggestion Re: Wifi with KitKat and it seems to have worked.  I did have to reset the proxy setting for my WIFI back to "None" from "manual" after following all the steps.  It seems to be holding now.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Glad it worked for you. Smiley Happy

pizzapablo
Contributor - Level 1

I do not understand "parts 1 and 2 of KitKat update". I received 1 update to change my RAZR M from JellyBean to KitKat.

Anyways, since "update" to KitKat my WiFi reception seems weaker and the phone is on 3G in areas that used to have 4G reception., prior to KitKat.

After KitKat update, I wiped cache and performed a factory reset, yet still have these reception issues.

What is the fix?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

pizzapablo,

Let's help get you back in the 4G fastlane! What is the zip code of the location you are experiencing this issue? When you state Wi-Fi connection seems weaker, is it frequently disconnecting or slower speeds? Has it been tested with multiple Wi-Fi connections or just one? Is the device paired with any Bluetooth accessories during the time of these issues?

EfrainM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
pizzapablo
Contributor - Level 1

3G reception at home, where I used to get 4G.

WiFi connected with one dot, vice 2 or 3 bars, at home.

I have not had the opportunity to compare away from home.

Thank you.

0 Likes