Wifi questions
BobCo

I am having difficulties being prompted for credentials when I am near an open wifi access point.

It shows as being connected, but most times does not ask for credentials.

When I do the status pull down on the main screen it will show Verizon Wireless (to the left of the Clear option) which I am assuming is what I will be using when I do data, but under the Wi-Fi icon it shows the access point I want to use and that I am connected.

So essentially I am connected to the private WAP, but I am using Verizon for data.

Correct?

I would think I would see the private WAP name and not Verizon Wireless when I do the status pull down

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Wifi questions
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Rescue is here BobCo! I am glad you are getting connected to a Wi-Fi, that does save a lot of data on your plan. What is the make/model of your device? If you are connected to Wi-Fi then you are not using Verizon Wireless data. There are times if the Wi-Fi signal is weak it can use your regular data. Are you able to connect to other Wi-Fi?

AmberF_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
BobCo

Thank you for your reply.

It's a Samsung Edge and yes I can connect to other WiFi I have connected and logged in to this one before as well.

My question ... when I pull down the "Status" screen (for lack of a better description) it shows Verizon Wireless at the bottom of the window and not the device I AM connected to.

It does show the device I am connected to under the WiFi icon (other icons in this Status screen are Location, Sound, Screen Rotation and Bluetooth along with date & time, pencil icon for quick setting panel and the settings gear icon).

So it shows I am connected to ABC Company WiFi, but it doesn't always give me a login screen.  It shows connected, but it shows Verizon and not ABC Company since I haven't logged into the guest WiFi.

I'd like to be able to cache the credentials, but lacking that I'd like to know which wireless I am using.

Thanks!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Not a problem Bobco. I want to ensure that you get the correct information. If you have the Wi-Fi symbol on the top of your phone then you are connected to Wi-Fi. Do you have a picture you can post for me to see?

AmberF_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes