WiFi vs. Mobile Data
old_MK
Enthusiast - Level 1

I REALLY need a straight answer on this. Just got my first smartphone, and I was under the impression that the WHOLE POINT of having WiFi on a smartphone was so you could send and receive data without using ANY of your data allowance. So, let me ask the question in the most straightforward way that I can:

WHEN I ONLY HAVE WiFi TURNED ON (i.e., Mobile Data is turned OFF) AND I AM SENDING OR RECEIVING DATA, EMAILS, ETC., IS IT USING UP *ANY* OF MY 2GB OF DATA ALLOWANCE?!

I thought it was NOT supposed to use data allowance, but a coworker of mine said that EVERYTHING goes against your data allowance. She uses a different carrier, though.

If WiFi DOES NOT touch my data allowance, then, is it safe to just leave it ON all the time?

Thanks! All help is appreciated, as I just switched from a 12-ish-year-old flip-phone...!

(LG G2, 2GB monthly allowance)

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: WiFi vs. Mobile Data
Tidbits
Legend

No it is not.

The only time it counts is when you are doing it over cellular network. WiFi doesn't use your cellular network.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

No it is not.

The only time it counts is when you are doing it over cellular network. WiFi doesn't use your cellular network.

0 Likes
old_MK
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks! Much appreciated! That is certainly what my pre-purchase research indicated; but then, when I checked my usage on my phone ("usage" as indicated by the phone itself, NOT "usage" indicated by Verizon) the "Mobile Data" and "WiFi" usage numbers seemed to be adding up to my total data usage number...

I would REALLY appreciate a full answer from Customer Service, as well, to really "cement" the validity. The gal at work who told me that WiFi usage counts is pretty savvy, so I'd like an official, written answer straight from Verizon.

Come on, Verizon Customer Service, jump in here!

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

It might be in the sense when you look it counts in terms of your device telling you if you look.  It is separated by WiFi and cellular data.  Anything that shows up in the WiFi section doesn't count towards your usage.

old_MK
Enthusiast - Level 1

Awesome! Thanks!

0 Likes