Why no simultaneous voice and data on new Moto X 2nd gen?
rulethedroid
Contributor - Level 1

Discovered there is no simultaneous voice and data on the new Moto X 2014 2nd gen just released last week.  This seems like a huge omission - something every other smartphone has had for years.  Why would this be?  Even with VoLTE (Advanced Calling 1.0) coming, enabling the voice and data at the same time, it will only work if the other caller is on VoLTE as well and you're connected to a compatible tower.  Why would such an important function be left out?

Labels (1)
Re: Why no simultaneous voice and data on new Moto X 2nd gen?
rcschnoor
Legend

Sorry, but this is NOT something every other smartphone has had for years.

On Verizon, most 4G LTE phones have the capability for simultaneous voice/data while on a 4G LTE data connection. If they are on a 3G data connection, most 4G LTE phones do not have the voice/data simultaneous capability.

Are you sure you simply can't get voice/data when on a 3G data connection on the new Moto X?

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader
0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

It sounds as if they stripped out some components to keep the price low on this phone.

0 Likes
rulethedroid
Contributor - Level 1

Ok, maybe not every smartphone, but pretty much every smartphone worth buying over the past 3 years has had this capability.  Regardless, it's 2014 and it should be standard, without question.

I was at a corporate Verizon store on Saturday, turned off wifi and had a strong 4G LTE signal.  I made a call to an old company phone number that runs through 5 minutes of menus, then hit app switcher and tried to open Chrome and got the message "Data not available while on a voice call."  I hung up, opened Chrome again and it worked perfectly.

0 Likes
rulethedroid
Contributor - Level 1

I can't think of any other component they didn't include.  This can't be the reason.  Verizon is trying to slowly force everyone off the CDMA network so they can retire it.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

rulethedroid wrote:

I can't think of any other component they didn't include.  This can't be the reason.  Verizon is trying to slowly force everyone off the CDMA network so they can retire it.

Did you not read the link provided by tikibar1?

"Simultaneous voice and data has been available on most Android phones by coming equipped with two separate radios and maintaining separate connections to the 1x and EVDO or LTE networks."

It would appear that they possibly did not include 1 of the 2 radios in the previous model.

0 Likes
rulethedroid
Contributor - Level 1

Fair enough. The original question remains - why would they think it was a good idea to not have voice and data at the same time?

0 Likes
tbo27
Master - Level 2

Oh the usual answer --> $$. Once big red implements ac 1.0 on this device and the others the video calling on lte will use lots of data. If on WiFi and you leave the coverage area it auto skip to lte. 2 hours can use 1gb.  HD calls will be based on plan minutes but I wouldn't be surprised if some new plans come out.  If you ever wonder hmm I wonder why vzw did that? Money save or profit

0 Likes
rulethedroid
Contributor - Level 1

I guess we'll know for sure if this is how VZW is headed when more devices are announced.  Curious to see if the new Moto X will have this restriction on other carrier networks.

0 Likes