Why is there a red x appearing next to text messages between my boyfriend and I?
Goonbunny

Whenever I send or receive a text from my boyfriend, a red x appears beside it. This has been happening since Monday. This is not occurring with anyone else I am exchanging texts with. He is getting my messages because he does reply, so I don't know what this means. He does live up in the Albany area whereas I live in NYC. He was also late paying his bill...but he paid it on Saturday. At first on Monday I thought the x might mean his service was about to be discontinued because the payment hadn't been processed yet, but since he paid it online it has to be fine by now. I don't know whether or not this indicates a problem with cell service...we did have a huge storm on Saturday in this area...or what. Can anyone shed light on this?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why is there a red x appearing next to text messages between my boyfriend and I?
Twisted_Angel

I've been getting something similar for almost two weeks now. We tried a factory reset, it didn't help. The messages are going through on my end as well, but it's annoying. They thought maybe it was an issue on his end, but without him wiping his phone clean it would be to hard to tell. Seems I'm stuck with the little annoying symbol. So I just turned off my delivery reports.

0 Likes
Re: Why is there a red x appearing next to text messages between my boyfriend and I?
stef7
Master - Level 2

It might be that the SMS Texting program isn't getting a response within a certain timeframe. Not sure.

Try this though: Install Whatsapp from the Market on your phone and that of your boyfriend. Try exchanging text messages with that application. Not only will you see that the person has received it onto their device, but also when they've read it, whether they are online or not, and if they are typing a response.

It's far superior to SMS/MMS Texting in my opinion.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Goonbunny,

I text my friends and family quite a bit so I can imagine your concern in seeing this red X appear consistently. Let's get this fixed for you. What type of Android phone do you have? 

Sometimes, a red x will appear when there is a message earlier in the text message thread that was not sent. You may have to search your conversation with your boyfriend and see if you can locate the message.

Please let me know if you are still experiencing this so I can assist you further.

Thank you,

TanishaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Goonbunny
0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

The only time I have seen the red X is if / When a text message cannot be delivered.

0 Likes
irishbabe

EASY FIX....I had the same problem with the red x appearing all of a sudden after ever text message I would send my boyfriend .  I scrolled through all our past text messages and found a picture he had sent me that I was unable to download.  I deleted that message with the download and the red x went away immediately.  Hope this helps!

0 Likes