Why is my phone using data when on wifi?
mwbulechek
Enthusiast - Level 2

We have a S5 and an S6 both use data on while we are on wireless. It is getting worse. I had to up my data plan even! The S5 had used 3 times the data as my S6. This is a total scam. I love your service and the network but this is silly! HELP fix this! Already used 1.2 Gig on the S5 for this month! 5 days into my plan.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Phone using data when on wifi
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

bearone21 wrote:

do you have smar switch for wi-fi selected??

if not, a wi-fi signal that's weaker than the network will draw from the network.

I should have included checking Smart Switch when giving the earlier suggestion, but I forgot; thanks for mentioning it.  But don't you mean "if so" rather than "if not"?  If smart network switch is on, the phone will be connected to a mobile network automatically when the wi-fi connection is unstable.

View solution in original post

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Settings > Wi-Fi > More > Advanced, do you have Keep Wi-Fi on During Sleep set to Always?

If you're on wi-fi for extended periods, have you considered turning data off?

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

if not, a wi-fi signal that's weaker than the network will draw from the network.

12g in 5 days....post a shot of battery usage    settings/battery.

0 Likes
mwbulechek
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been thru all of the settings and checked everything everyone told us to try. Wifi is set to always on.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

bearone21 wrote:

I should have included checking Smart Switch when giving the earlier suggestion, but I forgot; thanks for mentioning it.  But don't you mean "if so" rather than "if not"?  If smart network switch is on, the phone will be connected to a mobile network automatically when the wi-fi connection is unstable.

mwbulechek
Enthusiast - Level 2

I may try that, It does it all hours of the day. I am on a very strong wifi and a slightly weak 4G signal at home. It uses data there too. I will try shutting the data off when we are at home.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

correct, thanks

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Mwbulecheck, keeping your data in line is something that we all work towards. I see that you have had some great suggestions from forum members. Have you seen any improvement? Please let us know if you are still experiencing these issues.

LorenB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes