Why don't I get e-mail notifications?
dbbl

I purchased Google's Nexus 5X from Google, took it to Verizon store and they activated it.  The only problem is the phone does not notify me that voice messages have been left on my phone.  I exchanged messages with Verizon via Twitter - no resolution.  I called Google and we had a three-way conversation (Google-Verizon-me).  Verizon tech was not familiar with this problem.  Google tech pulled up internal memo essentially saying I needed to "downgrade" my voice mail service to the "basic" level.  I have not done that yet.  Have others had the same experience (no notifications that voice messages have been left).  Have you been able to resolve the issue?  Please advise.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Nexus 5X - voice mail - no notifications
bob_zz
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, there is a fix, but you'll need to call Verizon support.

In short, when the Nexus 5 goes through its initial setup, somehow it assumes you have Visual Voice mail. If you indeed never had this extra cost option, your phone's is unfortunately now set up for Visual Voice mail, which is NOT supported by Verizon on the Nexus 5.

To get your voice mail notifications back, you must call Verizon support at 611.

Explain the above to them. In my case, the tech was already familiar with this issue.

You must request that they set your phone back to 'standard voice mail'.

Once that is complete, you need to restart your phone to pick up the settings change.

You cannot do this from your phone! You must call Verizon. I was able to get a tech with no waiting and the entire process take less than 10 minutes, including the restart.

My Nexus 5 now has the standard VM notifications.

View solution in original post

Jamo
Enthusiast - Level 3

My Nexus 6P voicemail gives me notification thru text message But I only have the basic voicemail so I am pretty sure this is where your problem is...

0 Likes
mattjosh

Also a Visual VM subscriber on Nexus 5X and on the phone with Verizon tech support for my 3rd time right now regarding that issue. I do get weird text message notifications though, so if Jamo is a basic VM subscriber and getting those too, I don't think downgrading will solve your problem.

That said, I'll be downgrading anyway because why pay $3 for something I can't use?

Short answer is that nothing we've tried is working, but there is hope that once the device becomes certified it will work.

0 Likes
dbbl

Thanks, mattjosh and Jamo

We were able to change to the basic plan (which had to be done at a Verizon store – can’t do it online) and now I get notifications!

0 Likes
bob_zz
Enthusiast - Level 2

The downgrade will not fix your problem. I have a Nexus 5x from Google with the same issue.

I went to the Verizon store and they pulled up a bulletin that stated that Verizon's voice mail system is not compatible with the Nexus 5.

I'd like to understand how ANY phone can be incompatible with ANY carrier's voicemail system. This is a standard feature across all phones and all carriers. Verizon should be embarrassed that basic functions just fail. Customer satisfaction has limits.

Just imagine if you bought an iPhone directly from Apple and used it on the Verizon network and voicemail notification didn't work.

0 Likes
bob_zz
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm on the basic plan and I'm not getting notifications. Is that all you did was revert to the basic plan?

0 Likes
XroosterX

Is there still no fix to this?  I as well am not getting notifications with my 5x.  I dont have any Visual Voicemail app or anything.  This is pretty ridiculous  that verizon will not fix this problem. 

0 Likes
bob_zz
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, there is a fix, but you'll need to call Verizon support.

In short, when the Nexus 5 goes through its initial setup, somehow it assumes you have Visual Voice mail. If you indeed never had this extra cost option, your phone's is unfortunately now set up for Visual Voice mail, which is NOT supported by Verizon on the Nexus 5.

To get your voice mail notifications back, you must call Verizon support at 611.

Explain the above to them. In my case, the tech was already familiar with this issue.

You must request that they set your phone back to 'standard voice mail'.

Once that is complete, you need to restart your phone to pick up the settings change.

You cannot do this from your phone! You must call Verizon. I was able to get a tech with no waiting and the entire process take less than 10 minutes, including the restart.

My Nexus 5 now has the standard VM notifications.

WaltMan
Enthusiast - Level 1

Your solution worked as stated. Thank you for sharing!!

0 Likes
locutus1701
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a Nexus 6p on Verizon. Here are the steps I took to get voicemail notifications and and visual voicemail (using Google voice). Remove the Visual Voice Mail on your account and switch with basic voice mail. With basic voice mail, you will no longer get odd text messages everytime you get a voicemail. You will now get prompted when there is voice mail waiting (clicking on the notification will dial voicemail where you have to enter your password). You can configure Google Voice to handle voicemails so that they appear in the native dialer's voice mail tab after you select the "Voicemail display" option in the Google Voice app.

0 Likes