Why doesn't Verizon approve the Nexus 5?
Crayolamarker

I just got done chatting with Verizon support.  I was trying to decide whether to buy the Nexus 5 but they said it hasn't been approved for the Verizon network.  Is there a technical reason for this or just a "business decision" (aka disagreement with Google) or both?  I've read endless blog posts and comments but am interested to know the official reason.  What would happen if I try to activate the phone via MyVerizon?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why doesn't Verizon approve the Nexus 5?
Sonoran_Chris
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you take a look at the Google Nexus 5 site within the Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_5_black_32gb and then scroll down to the Technical Specifications and hit the right arrow.  You'll notice that it does support 4G LTE.  Look at the bands that it supports however.  Verizon is Band 13.

That is why you won't be able to activate it and would have just wasted a bunch of money.

0 Likes
Crayolamarker

Thanks Chris... so it appears to meet the Verizon CDMA band requirement but not the Verizon LTE band requirement.  I look forward to hearing the scoop in the coming months as to why this band was left out this device.  Seems odd.  But even if CDMA and LTE both met the requirements then I'm led to believe that Verizon still wouldn't have had to approve just any device on the CDMA network, since the "Any device, any app" policy doesn't apply to the CDMA spectrum (?).  Maybe I have that right, maybe not, but either way... yeah I'm glad I didn't go ahead and buy the Nexus 5.

0 Likes
marcodif
Enthusiast - Level 3

Maybe it doesn't support it because Verizon said no thanks.  did you hear the debacle on the Nexus 7 tablet that Verizon chose not to sell after Google announced it would be available on Verizon?  Maybe this is more about Verizon making secret deals with Apple to help protect it's sales.  Really, the only distinction from Apple to Android, is that if it's not a Nexus device, it gets updates filtered thru the device manufacturer and the carrier.  But Apple doesn't get this filter, and neither does Nexus devices, so it stands to reason.  Remember VZ Navigator on non-Nexus devices?  Really Verizon, if Apple can't make a better map navigation tool (remember the debacle with iPhone 5 and Google maps?) then why do you think you can do better than Google?  some opf my money I pay to Verizon goes to them developing stupid apps like VZ Navigator that don't even get used and just suck up space and resources on my phone!  Kicking Verizon to the curb and heading to T-Mobile.  The more customers that switch, the better the network will get on T-Mobile.  Then Verizon will change it's tune when it's not number one.

0 Likes
bottlerocket

It doesn't support it because Verizon is too greedy with their service. They can't put their bloatware crap on the Nexus 5 so they won't allow it. I'm jumping ship for AT&T

0 Likes