Why does verizon disable the FM tuner in their smartphones that are equipped with them
Bondo73
Enthusiast - Level 3

I recently got me a Sony Xperia Z3v phone because it was supposed to have an FM tuner built into it upon tinkering found out the reason it wouldn't work for me is because Verizon has it blocked off why is this

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why does verizon disable the FM tuner in their smartphones that are equipped with them
Tidbits
Legend

There's more to it than that. There's various other threads you should read up on in this forum. Verizon doesn't block it. They just don't pay for it. There is a difference.

Re: Why does verizon disable the FM tuner in their smartphones that are equipped with them
Bondo73
Enthusiast - Level 3

It's part of the phone tho the tech is built into it and the head phone jack acts as the antenna when plugged in I can get it to work with a code I found online....  I'd rather have it then all of the other boatyard verizon has put on it. How can I get verizon to push the magical buttons to turn on the app for it?

0 Likes
Veloquin
Enthusiast - Level 2

Simple answer.

Just won't happen..

Tidbits
Legend

There is more to it than that. You need more than just the radio. There's a lot of data of this from XDA and you can go through all of it.

Each logic board has a different parts number for a reason, and they are not easily swappable to make them work. Read the other FM radio threads, and go through the other site I mentioned.

0 Likes
Bondo73
Enthusiast - Level 3

I kind of think with somebody else mentioned is the simplest and easiest explanations it's free doesn't use data so therefore Verizon can't make any money on it so don't put it on

0 Likes
Bondo73
Enthusiast - Level 3

I contacted Verizon on it and even the Verizon service rep it and figure it out she said she saw the phone has it its got its capabilities but Verizon's got a block on it that can't be removed from her sitting

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

A few things to consider in the hot-button FM tuner debate we see every other day here:

1...If Verizon has to pay for this function, then the cost of the phone would be increased.

2...Verizon never advertised the phone as having a functioning FM tuner...Sony did, and the fine print stated that it was dependent upon the carrier.

3...If Verizon doesn't enable the FM tuner with all the money Verizon makes, why do small MNVO carriers like Boost Mobile enable the tuner when you know Boost Mobile is making less money than their parent company Sprint?  (It's because they bet on monthly returns by prepaid customers who have ultra cheap data plans on a very limited network.)

You have to consider that Verizon spends money on a lot of postpaid plan add-ons like NFL, Cloud and server space, US-based support, etc...whereas carriers like Boost and similar only offer calls, texts, data and all other add-ons are a monthly subscription cost and support is 180 degrees around the globe.

Plus, the cheaper prepaid carriers like above tend to use the same hardware across a year's worth of "new" devices (maybe 2-3 a year), so unlike the flagship phones with new hardware at every new edition, they can do this much more easily.

Yeah, there's more to it than flipping a switch.

0 Likes
Bondo73
Enthusiast - Level 3

I guess it's the same reason why my company pays extra not to have air conditioning put on our service trucks for deliveries we can get more mileage out of the trucks induction to make more money kind of like if Verizon let the phones work with an FM tuner they wouldn't make as much money for overages on people going over on their data plans listening to Pandora radio and so forth the phone have the FM tuner module already built into it there's nothing extra to it I can access it easily enough with going through the telephone feature by typing in a number on the keypad then from that point all I have to do is go in and type in manually the actual number of the radio station it doesn't cost anything extra it probably cost extra to have it shut off

0 Likes
Bondo73
Enthusiast - Level 3

And you're right Verizon does not advertise that the telephone please has an FM tuner but when I did all my research online and trying to pick the perfect phone and realize that Verizon and carrier I've been with for many many many years had the phone that I picked I didn't think I'd have to go the extra step and mile to verify the Verizon allows their phones that they sell to have the FM tuner feature activated I now know better question to ask next time I contract rolls around

0 Likes