Why does my Galaxy S5 only send and receive MMS/Group messages intermittently?
Jenniebr

Two months ago I changed from an iPhone 5s to a Galaxy S5.  Since then, I have been unable to consistently send and receive MMS/Group messages.  I am able to send/receive individual messages to all of my contacts (iPhone users included), but do not receive the majority of the group messages.  I have tried several different messaging apps, including the phone's default app, none of which work.  Also, I keep receiving error messages telling me "can't receive MMS, check APN settings" for each of the apps I tried.  However, the APN setting is locked to changes.  All of the appropriate MMS/group message settings are checked.  Please help me figure out what's going on here so I can participate in my family's conversations!

Thank you.

Jennie

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why does my Galaxy S5 only send and receive MMS/Group messages intermittently?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Jennie,

We want to get you back up and running with your family ASAP. I am sorry to hear that this has gone on. Let's check out a few things here. What software version are you on? Please go to settings, general, about, and then let me know what you see as far as the software version goes. Thank you.

ErinW_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: Why does my Galaxy S5 only send and receive MMS/Group messages intermittently?
Jenniebr

Hi Erin!  My Android version is 4.4.4.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Jennie,

Thanks for checking the software version.  Did the MMS/Group Messaging ever work proplery on the S5?  Have you noticed any patterns such as your location or zip code that this is occurring in?

I'd recommend testing in safe mode for a bit; http://vz.to/1B5LU1C .

TrevorC_VZW

0 Likes
Jenniebr

No, it has never worked properly.  I had originally attributed it to the

change from an iPhone, but everything I've read says that it should have

self-corrected by now.  I have not noticed any patterns.  I will try safe

mode and let you know what happens.

0 Likes
Jenniebr

I just tried sending/receiving MMS messages in safe mode with the people

who had not been working.  The message went out okay, but I could not

receive their replies.  I am still able to receive their individual texts

though.

>> Personal information removed to comply with the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service <<

Edited by:  Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Jenniebr,

Thank you for testing the device in "Safe Mode". Are any of the individuals you are group messaging have iPhones? When you go it the Messaging application>Settings>Advanced it Auto retrieve check for MMS messages?

LindseyT_VZW

0 Likes
Jenniebr

Yes, many of them are iPhone users, but I'm not receiving group messages

from another Galaxy S5 user either.  Again, this group messaging problem is

intermittent--sometimes I receive their group messages, other times I

don't, and this is for both iPhone and Android users.

I checked the settings on my phone and the Auto Retrieve box is checked.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Jenniebr,

Thank you for that additional information, have you tried deleting the group messaging thread and starting fresh? Are text messages working ok when not sent in group messaging from?

KarenC_VZW

0 Likes
Jenniebr

Hello. A 5th visit to a (3rd) store provided new information. The tech

said that there is a known software problem worth this, and that an update

will be coming. They don't know when, though. They said there's nothing to

do but wait for that to see if it resolves the problem.

Some feedback for the company on administering this community customer

support forum: have one person work a customer thread. We made no progress

toward a solution because my previous posts were not read thoroughly by the

new reps and I spent my time re-answering questions that already had

answers. Response time was also lacking.

On Jan 2, 2015 4:31 PM, "Verizon Wireless Customer Support" <

0 Likes