Why does LG G2 Battery Drain Drain so Fast in Standby?
GALAX7
Enthusiast - Level 3

My LG G2 battery will drain in 16 hours while in standby, not using the phone at all.  I have turned off mobile data, wifi and tried airplane mode and still get cell standby draining battery dead.  I have installed a new battery.  I have wiped the cache with App Cache Cleaner.  I have stopped all running apps with task manager.  How can Cell Standby still be sucking the battery dead?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: LG G2 Cell Standby Battery Drain
GALAX7
Enthusiast - Level 3

I did a couple resets and still had cell standby battery drain.  I turned off bluetooth, wifi and location services.  I finally removed the sim card and that stopped cell standby.  I've since turned on bluetooth, wifi and network-gps location.  The battery is standing by correctly now with 1 or 2 percent an hour.  I am using the G2 as a wifi device, music player, camera and navigation with copilot.  I use my G4 as my real phone.  The battery drain issue on the G2 started before I switched phones.  Maybe having a sim card with a non working number causes cell standby.  I have an old Motorola Razr phone running the same way, with sim card still installed on non functioning number and that phone has no cell standby issues. I have not tried to reinstall the sim card on the G2.  I am getting the functionality I require at this time.

An unrelated side note.  The G4 has fantastic battery life. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

This is very strange in deed Tim. Battery draining that fast in standby mode does not seem right. Being that you have done several troubleshooting steps, my resources indicate that next best step to try is to do a factory reset as per this link http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-87344/ and please ensure that Automatic Restore is disabled as per this link http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-87111/ then charge fully and test standby mode for 24 hours without installing any third party application. Keep us posted.

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
GALAX7
Enthusiast - Level 3

The reset may be my last resort for the G2.  Rebuilding the phone from scratch is very time consuming.   I have an LG G4 using all the same apps in the same location on the same wifi network as the G2.  The G4 has location services on and running apps.  The G4 battery can go for days.  In standby it looks like it would go for a week easily.  When I get the time I will try a reset on the G2.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Cell Standby sounds like the phone is trying to find a signal.  It shouldn't be looking if you have the radios off.  Given this is not a user-serviceable phone, you might take another look inside to make sure you have it all put back together correctly.  I never have any time without signal, but my cell standby still states 9% right now after 3.5 hours on time, but my battery depletes about 2-3% an hour.  I get well over 30 hours on my G2 with all radios on.

0 Likes
GALAX7
Enthusiast - Level 3

I did a couple resets and still had cell standby battery drain.  I turned off bluetooth, wifi and location services.  I finally removed the sim card and that stopped cell standby.  I've since turned on bluetooth, wifi and network-gps location.  The battery is standing by correctly now with 1 or 2 percent an hour.  I am using the G2 as a wifi device, music player, camera and navigation with copilot.  I use my G4 as my real phone.  The battery drain issue on the G2 started before I switched phones.  Maybe having a sim card with a non working number causes cell standby.  I have an old Motorola Razr phone running the same way, with sim card still installed on non functioning number and that phone has no cell standby issues. I have not tried to reinstall the sim card on the G2.  I am getting the functionality I require at this time.

An unrelated side note.  The G4 has fantastic battery life. 

0 Likes
GALAX7
Enthusiast - Level 3

I should add that the G2 battery drain problem started before I installed a new battery while the G2 was my primary phone.  I put in a new battery because I thought the old battery could be the problem, but that was not the case.  I didn't install the new battery until I had upgraded to the G4.  

0 Likes