Sometimes, I am getting an error message that says that my contacts have quit working. Also sometimes I can't use my phone because the same error message appears when I tap the phone icon.
Turning the phone off and on again sometimes helps, other times not.
I tried a reboot, but that did not seem to make any difference.
Thanks. I'll give that a try. Also, I am wondering if it would help if I cleared off all the data and reloaded / re-imported it again.
I have a similar experience with getting the message that my contacts have stopped. Here is my experience in resolving the issue.
1. Phone: Motorola RAZR MAXX HD 24 GB of 32 GB free.
2. OS; Android 4.4.2
3. Message "Unfortunately, contacts has stopped"
4. Possible cause: Contacts stops working when either Verizon Cloud or Backup Assistant try to synchronize with their respective online storage systems. Also, neither APP managed to properly identify all my contacts. Cloud only backed up 13 of over 600 contacts. Backup Assistant Plus only backup up 360 of over 600 contacts.
5. Resolution: I disabled both APPs after clearing their respective cache and data. Then I cleared the data and cache for Contacts. Assuming your have a Gmail account for your Android device, Google will repopulate your contacts from the web based email account. So, nothing is lost and no damage is done. This was my experience.
6. Lesson learned: On my phone, and perhaps others, the Cloud and Backup Assistant are corrupted, or have bugs, and produce errors which interfere with the operation of Contacts when they try to synchronize, even imperfectly. Clearing the data from Contacts, and disabling the two Verizon APPS, resulted in restoration of the Contacts function.
7. Verizon's response: Verizon technical support pronounced itself mystified by the information presented here. So far, after two days, they have not responded with either a diagnosis or a fix.
8. My Expectations: I don't really expect Verizon to do anything at this point. I do have working contacts, and they are preserved via my Gmail account, so I have a working solution. It just doesn't involve Verizon software.