Device - SCH-I535

Version 4.4.2

Baseband version - I535OYUDNE1

Build number - KOT49H.I535VRUDNE1

As for the troubleshooting steps,

I've done the following;

• Went into app manager and force stop VZWAVSService
  • Force stop Hangouts and removed all updates for it, then disabled it
  • Settings -> Default applications -> Messages -> switched it back to Messaging
  • Rebooted the phone, no more error message and she's capable of texting. Just can not use Hangouts.

Re-enabling hangouts and updating it, will cause VZWAVSService to reproduce the problem and error out.

0 Likes
Re: Why do I get this message: "Unfortunately VZWAVSService has stopped"
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate all that you've done. I would suggest heading into Settings > Application Manager > All > VZWAVSService and then "turn off" to disable.

YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

JenniferRome
Enthusiast - Level 1

Go to settings, application manager, all, VZWAVS service...force stop, stop notifications,  clear data and cache and turn off.

0 Likes
crystalhau19881
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same issue after two days of having the galaxy s3. Which is what i have wanted for the longest time.   I don't do anything to cause this error.  Now will some one please tell me how to fix it? Or do i just have to live with the annoying pop up?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

The VZW AVS Service is obviously Verizon’s app that runs in the background. Only the provider knows what the service does. But the thing is, it’s not actually the service that causes the error message, it’s the newly updated Google apps. It seems there’s a conflict between this service and Gapps. Try to go to Application Manager and find Google+. There’s a button there that says Uninstall Updates, hit it and that should fix the problem. To prevent this error messages from popping up in the future, disable vzwavsservice.http://thedroidguy.com/2014/11/fix-common-samsung-galaxy-s3-problems-errors-glitches-part-49-100210

0 Likes
crystalhau19881
Enthusiast - Level 1

This needs to be in the handbook. For future reference. Bc some of your

customers needs to know the ins and outs of the devices that you sell. Bc

honestly some of us are not tech smart! Most of the cellular smart phones

were easier to actually figure out. Please inform me if there's anyone more

bugs i need to be informed about for the phone.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I am not a Verizon employee.  I only assist where I can like all the other members on the community forums.  One would think that the S3 would have most of its bugs worked out by now given its age.  But there is rumor that 5.0 could reach some S3s this year.  At least the AT&T ones.

0 Likes
thaydenhome
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've read thru everything on this post to-date.  I have been getting the "unfortunately VZWAVSservice has stopped working" message on my S3.  It does seem to have started around the same time as the Google+ update.  Since then, Google Maps would only work if I was at home (though it would continue to a destination, as long as I started from home).  I tried the suggested fixes, with several failures along the way, and now Google Maps can now ONLY pull up my own home when I am AT home and cannot do ANY directions whatsoever.

1) I tried going to Storage and clearing the cache - fail.  It just says calculating for the cached data value (as well as most others) and though it ACTS like it is clearing the cache nothing actually seems to change.  Restarting the phone caused no change to this.

2) I tried clearing the cache and clearing data for VZWAVSService - fail.  It just says they're computing and they are grayed out.  Restarting the phone caused no change to this.

3) I tried the same for Google+ - fail.  Same result as #2.

4) I tried uninstalling Google+ updates - fail.  It says it is uninstalling but never seems to finish doing so.

5) I tried turning VZWAVSservice off.  I was able to do so, however there was no change in the phone's behavior.  I turned it back on.  On or off didn't seem to affect behavior.

Has anyone else had the mapping issue associated with this error message and is there a solution for it?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

It's a location services based error it seems.  Try marking Location to Mode:  High Accuracy and see if that helps.  As far as mapping apps, Nokia Here Maps is hands-down the best.  It has offline navigation with turn by turn and doesn't need data once you download the map..not cache the map, but download and save the map.  Works wonderfully.  Now it is out of beta and has regular updates.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Screenshot_2015-03-01-16-02-57.png

0 Likes