Why am I still receiving text messages with airplane mode enabled?
ztsilver
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am currently traveling internationally in Europe and am receiving text messages with airplane mode enabled. I am not connected to wifi but messages are still coming through. I use the native Android Messages app and not the Verizon Messages+ app. I do not have calling over wifi enabled. I have a Galaxy S6 with Android v6.0.1. I am obviously concerned with the potential charges for this usage. Can someone from Verizon direct me on how to stop my phone from receiving text messages or confirm that I will not be charged for them?

Labels (1)
Re: Why am I still receiving text messages with airplane mode enabled?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are the test messages are through the Messages app which as the white envelope with yellow icon?  Or it is the red icon with the two text bubbles in it?  Is there an airplane symbol on your notification bar indicating the device is in airplane mode?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
ztsilver
Enthusiast - Level 2

Text messages are coming through the Messages app with the white enveloped

on the yellow background. Yes, there is an airplane symbol on my

notification bar.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Ztsilver

We appreciate the details you have provided. What is the content of these text messages? What happens if you try to respond to them? What are all the icons on display on your notification bar?

ChristopherM_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
ztsilver
Enthusiast - Level 2

The content are a mix of text messages I am being sent from friends/family

in the US as well as automated text messages from Verizon (like paying my

bill, etc.). I can't respond to them when airplane mode is enabled.

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 1:23 AM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ztsilver,

It is truly odd that you are still receiving messages while in airplane mode. I appreciate the details you have provided. To clarify, are you still receiving calls while in airplane mode also? Are you able to still use data while in airplane mode too? Have you taken your phone out of airplane mode at all while you are traveling in Europe?

LindseyT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
4x4fox

I am having the very same issue. I've had airplane mode turned on the four days I've been here. When I turn on wifi without turning off airplane mode I'm still receiving texts. I use the messages app and not the Verizon message+ app. I haven't made any calls and only returned texts one day in the hopes that I'll only be charged the $10/day that once.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I definitely understand not wanting to get charged when you are not trying to. Let's keep investigating. What country are you currently in? What phone do you have?

AnthonyM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
bowman100

I am experiencing the same thing. I am in the states though and just use airplane mode to avoid using excessive data and going over. I have a galaxy s5. This just started happening after the latest update.  Am I being charged for data usage?

0 Likes
ENGSA6

I am in Turkey and have the same issue; receiving and can send texts via wifi in airplane mode.  Do we get charged for this wifi texting?

0 Likes