Why am I being offered a refurbished handset after being sold a defective one?
therazavifamily
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

So I am apparently one of those lucky customers that ended up purchasing a Note 3 last fall that ended up paying full price for a Note 3 last fall, and it ends up being defective with the common connectivity issues. I have been calling Verizon for the last 6-9 months, complaining that I have not been able to use my phone reliably which is detrimental to my business because it or Verizon has all of a sudden become less reliable for my device specifically. I knew this wasn't a widespread coverage issue because half my coworkers / employees use Verizon and none of them has a Note 3 nor any of the connectivity issues I do in the same areas. Finally Verizon has agreed as of last week.

Up until a week ago, however, Verizon didn't do anything for me except for basic trouble shooting, software updates, and sim replacements. Now they are telling me they have acknowledged the Note 3 is having issues on Verizon, and after opening a trouble ticket, and being promised a replacement or a credit towards a new phone by Verizon last week, I am now being pushed into a refurbished Galaxy S5.

How much sense does this make for Verizon to sell me a defective device, not notify me that it could possibly be defective or that they are replacing it for other customers until just last week, and now pushing me to accept a used / re-certified Galaxy S5 which I have no interest in owing? If I had known that paying them $250 - $300 monthly and being a customer for the last 10 years didn’t matter much, I wouldn’t have paid them $700 for this phone and purchased it cheaper elsewhere.

The very least they can do is not try and screw me over on a very straight forward issue. Samsung is giving them defective devices. Satisfy a fair resolution to this matter like replacing my device with a device I want or giving me credit for the purchase of my device towards a future phone purchase, and mediate their loss with Samsung.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why am I being offered a refurbished handset after being sold a defective one?
tbo27
Master - Level 2

Did they ever warranty replace your note 3 device? I'm surprised they are doing a warranty claim and sending you an s5.

0 Likes
Re: Why am I being offered a refurbished handset after being sold a defective one?
therazavifamily
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon told me that the defect is acknowledged by Samsung, and they are authorizing refurbished S5 as a replacement since the problem is not solved.

So far Verizon seems very satisfied at collecting my $300 a month, and when a problem does arise, point the finer at Samsung and tell me exactly what Samsung can do to screw me further, all while Verizon is happy to do nothing and let me cancel. So that is what I am contemplating now. I will save money, and hopefully get a company that respects my business.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Verizon does not have to warrant your device at all. Read the owners manual.

You can send the device to the device maker and have them repair or replace.

Do you like blaming verizon for acting as the agent for Samsung?

Use the Samsung warranty and be without a phone for 10 days.

Good Luck

therazavifamily
Enthusiast - Level 1

Actually Verizon sold me the phone on Samsung. Verizon directly and Indirectly supports the device. Verizon profited off me paying full price, this is called the difference between wholesale price and retail price. Verizon takes my money monthly not Samsung, and this is a defect between Samsung's device and Verizon's network, nothing to do with me.

Use common sense. I have been a customer for over 10 years. There is something called customer satisfaction.

Stop acting like a clueless troll for Verizon.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Much like BestBuy selling you a Xbox One?  Unless you are within the 14 day window even Bestbuy gives you a refurbished unit or repairs it based on the manufacturer agreement.  GameStop?  They both will send you to Microsoft, and Microsoft will send you a refurbished unit...  Sony with the PS4 will do the same...  Even Apple when you do a warranty exchange they give you a refurbished unit unless they don't have one in stock...

Verizon acts like the middleman and they replace based on what the manufacturer guidelines are. 

Just because you signed a 2 year agreement doesn't tie Verizon to what you believe...  This has been beaten with a stick more times than needed.  He isn't being a clueless troll for Verizon...  If you don't like how this is done then you shouldn't buy ANY products from any manufacturer or company...  perishables are the only exception.

Kev48us
Contributor - Level 1

u might want to see if they will let u upgrade to the note 4 it should be out some time in October and it may be a beter option fit for u than the s 5

therazavifamily
Enthusiast - Level 1

I think you are mistaken on one key point. I purchased it full price without a contract to preserve my 4G let data that is unlimited.

0 Likes
Not applicable

You are mistaken. Read the warranty that came with the device.

It states the manufacturers warranty, not Verizon Wireless.

You can purchase that phone from Best Buy, Walmart, Target, BJ's, or Radio Shack. After 14 days with them you deal with the warranty through the device maker. Read up on it.

Verizon Wireless as a retailer gives the warranty exchange as a courtesy to their customers. They are not going to give you new when the warranty from Samsung states refurbished. You have no other claims against Verizon.

Verizon can simply direct you to the device maker or Asurian if you pay for supplement insurance.

You are writing without knowing what you speak of.

And I am no shill for Verizon been with them for 26+ years way before the name change.

They have good products, accessories and excellent coverage. They sell me a connection to the cellular and data network. I expect no other service from them.

As I said read your warranty, Samsung provides warranty not Verizon.

Verizon does not make cell phones or tablets etc.

They make money, that is it.

Good Luck