Why Verizon MUST get the Samsung Journal / Note / Note2 IMMEDIATELY!
Common-Sense

People are almost desperate to get the Note (aka Journal or soon to be released Note 2) for good reason: It is a LOGICAL IMPERATIVE. I wish I were designing phones for any of these manufacturers because long ago it was clear to me what size a phone simply must be. When the first Iphone came out I looked at it and wondered "Why is it so small?" Yes, it had a larger screen than most other phones at the time but it was still much smaller than it should have been. And then, wonder of wonders, all other manufacturers latched on to the same general size -  within about 1/4" or so. I got the Droid X when it came out because it was the largest available at the time...  even though it was still clearly too small. And phones stayed in pretty much the same range for years...  until, finally, the Note came along. One company, Samsung, finally found LOGIC.

We now use our phones as internet terminals, photo galleries, navigation, games, two-way video conferencing, and nearly unlimited other uses... most of which would benefit from the largest screen possible. But this must be limited by a simple formula...  What size fits comfortably in ONE HAND? (Of secondary importance is the size that fits comfortably into a pocket or purse). I just measured the width of the palm of my hand between the base of my thumb and the middle joint of the three fingers which form the opposite boundary (middle, ring, and pinkie) and I find a space of about 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 inches. That's my logical width limit. My hand is of average male size and I realize that women's hands are generally smaller by about a 1/4 inch or so. The Note is about 3 1/4" wide.

Amazing! Some engineer actually looked at his or her hand and allowed that to determine the size of the phone!! This must be one of the GREAT scientific breakthroughs that has occurred within my lifetime! Someone had the "GENIUS" to look at their hand!

Length is less of an issue since any length could still be cradled within this width. But aesthetics of form (and pocket size) come into play and a classic rectangle shape is a natural result. The Note is about 5 7/8" long and that looks and feels just about right.

I could go on and on but I think you get the idea. This is an ideal based on what we are. Therefore it is LOGICAL. I've gotta have this phone. Verizon has GOTTA give it to me. I can't hold out much longer. Therein lies the LOGICAL IMPERATIVE. SOON ALL PHONES WILL END UP IN THIS SIZE RANGE AS THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN ALL ALONG. Those who discover the IMPERATIVES of the marketplace SOONEST are the biggest WINNERS..

I really hope someone at Verizon reads this. Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why Verizon MUST get the Samsung Journal / Note / Note2 IMMEDIATELY!
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

I would find that phone too large to use with one hand, which is my preferred way to use my phone.  My 4.3" Rezound is just the right size to reach all the way across the screen and touch on the other side.  The Note is a full inch larger (on the diagonal, I know) and I would find it very difficult to reach all the way across (and at 6'2", 240lbs, I don't have small hands).  In addition, I have seen lots of comments on other android sites from people saying they would NEVER buy this phone.  Therefore, it is not LOGICAL that all phones will end up in this size range.  That being said, I can see how this phone would do well, because not everybody is me (that's why generalizations and saying that EVERYBODY would want something drive me nuts), and I know SOME people would like a larger phone.  I'd be willing to bet, however that Verizon has done a cost/benefit on this phone and has come to what they feel is a good business decision.

Side note:  The Note and the Journal are not the same phone.  The Note is a Samsung phone in their Galaxy line, and the Journal is a rumored HTC phone that is, in fact, rumored to be coming to Verizon.  The Note 2, however, does not exist, so how can it be soon to be released?  I have seen some mention of it, but nothing substantial enough to even be called a rumor.

AZSALUKI
Legend

a six inch phone? no thanks. it would be nice if they carry one of these phablets (or whatever you want to call them).....but i would prefer, and would be more likely to consider buying, one of the phones that integrates with a larger tablet. asus has a pretty nice one that the phone actually slides in to a 10 inch tablet. use it as a phone at about 4.5-5 inches....or throw it in to a 10 inch tablet and use it that way. i'm just not going to carry around a 6 inch device. i've had 7 inch tablets/ereaders and can't imagine trying to use that as my phone, let alone throw it in my pocket. i've had my tbolt for over a year and it still seems huge (especially compared to my old incredible).

0 Likes
boed1
Contributor - Level 1

I would LOVE to get the Note2.   I got the Galaxy Nexus which in my opinion is an inferior phone in many ways to the ET4G/GSII which I had before I came to Verizon.   I would have gotten that phone again if they had it when I switched to Verizon a number of months ago.

I was tempted to dump the GN for the SGSIII but I'll wait until October to see if Verizon steps up to the plate and offers their customers something a little different then their other 3 flagship phones.  

PS - I'm 6' and my hands are able to type on the current Note with just one hand, I don't have small hands.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

The Note is an addictive device.  I tried to stop using it, but I just kept thinking about it while it sat at home in a drawer.  That lasted for about two days before I pulled it back out.

I'm a woman and the Note is too big for me to use with one hand.  It frustrates me some, because that's how I prefer to use my phones.  However, the display is gorgeous.  The camera is good-to-great.  It does pretty well for battery life, considering the screen size and the fact that it is an Android device.  When I use it for long periods of time (an hour or more), the battery does go down quickly.  However, the standby performance is pretty decent, considering that I am syncing three email accounts on it.

My only complaint is that it doesn't do voice dialing over BT well with my headset of choice.  My headset keeps saying "This feature is not supported with the connected handset".  Since I refuse to hold the Note up to my ear to talk (illegal while driving anyway), this was the reason I moved on to another phone.

I hope that VZW gets the Note or the Note II.  I like for consumers to have a choice in devices so that they can find one to suit their needs.  A 5.3" device isn't for everyone.  The rumors about the Note II having a 5.5" screen are interesting, as this was the size of the Dell Streak and that didn't do well.  However, the Streak was positioned as a tablet that was also a phone whereas the Note is a phone that has tablet functions.

demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

See?  Now that's an attitude I can get in line with.  You've used it, you like it, and you hope they get it.  But you aren't demanding, and you understand that not everybody may like it.

boed1
Contributor - Level 1

That is a shame about the headset.   You sound like you know your phones so I won't claim I know more than you about them.

May I ask what headset you use?  (is it a blueant?)

What phone do you use when you don't use the note that works with your BT.

Have you tried vlingo on that unit?

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

Yes, it's the Blueant Q2.  Any non-Android phone that I have tried i.e. iPhone, Windows (Nokia Lumia 900) and a BlackBerry Curve, have worked well with the Blueant Q2.  The Android phones always give me problems with that headset.  This is the only reason that I keep a non-Android phone on me.  I prefer the Blueant Q2 to the other BT headsets that I have tried.  I was able to make the headset work with the HTC Sensation (Android), but it was after tweaking a lot of things, so I don't know what I did to finally make it work.

The Note comes with Voice Talk, which is a Samsung-enhanced version of Vlingo.  It seems that Vlingo is what is causing the communication problem with the BT headset.  The Note didn't come with Android's native Voice Dialer app out of the box.  I can't discuss the things that I did from that point, but I was never able to make voice dialing over BT work on the Note before I gave up.

If I have time one weekend, I may try to replicate what I did on the Sensation for the Note.  It would be nice to go back to the Note on my main line.  Right now, that has the Lumia 900 on it, and I'm not in love with that phone.

0 Likes
boed1
Contributor - Level 1

Yeah - I've heard that the Blueant is a nice headset but finicky.   You might try installing VLINGO even though the phone has a version of it installed.

I have the plantronics 975 which is good in many ways but I'd like something with longer battery life - maybe BT 3.0 or 4.0.    I'm worried they'll put some horrible noise cancellation tech on the next model that will make me hard to understand.   I've tried a few models and most won't let you disable the noise protection which often mistakes conversation for noise Smiley Happy    Nevertheless I've had very good luck with the plantronics even though I've tried samsung, jabra and jawbone.

I really want to dump my GN as soon as the Note 2 is available.   I"ve had good luck with other Samsung phones but frankly the GN even after the OTA update sucks as a phone.   I average a few hours per day on the phone and I can't tell when this one will just drop signal even though I'm stationary in my office and get 3-4 bars.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

Regarding the Vlingo recommendation, I really can't discuss this in this forum because it would violate forum rules.  What I can say is that out of the box, the Galaxy Note doesn't allow the user to change which app to use for voice dialing.  You have to use Voice Talk, so even if Vlingo is installed on the phone, once I push the BT headset button, it will automatically go to the Voice Talk app.  Vlingo also doesn't work on the out-of-the-box Note because the native Android Voice Dialer isn't already on the phone.

On other Android phones that I have had, you can change the default program for voice dialing.  That's not the case with the Note.  I have used Vlingo successfully on other phones and wanted to have that same success with the Note, but I didn't.

0 Likes