Why I'm not leaving VZN over the Nexus 5
mnovosel
Enthusiast - Level 2

Let's be real.  First off it's a phone.  The most important thing is the quality of service which in Chicago and at my studio, no one beats Verizon.  So for me to leap off to another carrier in spite of a phone is just cutting my own foot off.  I'm grandfathered in with unlimited data (20-60GB a month usage), get a corporate discount, my Nexus 3 still runs great and I have no intention of losing perfectly good service over a phone.

Yes their support is so-so, the sales folks at the store sometimes have no clue of what they're talking about and I'm sure that money and backroom deals are what result in certain phones getting a go ahead and others not.  Verizon loads bloatware on their phones that most people do not care for or ever even use and at VZN corporate they could care less.  They will continue to load garbage on the phones, the sales folks at the store will still give you tips from time to time on rooting the phone or getting rid of it, but it will simply continue that way until new leadership steps in and makes a change.  But that's not likely soon and they're not likely to care.

Verizon is massive and the number of us that care about having the Nexus 5 is infinitely small.  If we all up and left not only would it not make a drop in the bucket, but it would also not make a drop in the drop itself.  20 pages of people complaining on a forum will do nothing.  Verizon has corporate accounts with massive corporations whose usage outweighs even parts of their consumer market.  10,000 people canceling their contract will be less than zero impact on their overall bottom line and they could care less if you "vote with your dollars".

But what you can do is go after them legally.  And I'm talking about a large class action lawsuit for millions, not a few subscribers crying over a Nexus 5.  A few years ago Verizon had an agreement that they must have an open network allowing all compatible FCC approved devices.  You can read more about it here: http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/27.16  Now if someone can go after them from this perspective...now we're talking.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why I'm not leaving VZN over the Nexus 5
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

You can't file a class action lawsuit against cell phone companies anymore (based on a decision by the US Supreme Court and the arbitration clause in your contract).

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-57403475-266/why-you-cant-sue-your-wireless-carrier-in-a-class-act...

0 Likes
mnovosel
Enthusiast - Level 2

In that case I stand corrected! But in the legal system I'm sure someone

can figure out some way or an external party may get involved?

0 Likes
KickedAbyss
Enthusiast - Level 3

From what I understand, they are hiding behind some loophole that allows them to claim a device isn't 'safe' or similar wording in the law to keep a device off their network.

It may also be due to the fact that it's the LTE spectrum that has that law on it, and as you need CDMA as well (well, depending on where you are; I actually can drive from home to work to most places I go without leaving LTE) which I don't believe the law applies to.

But really, that's the point, isn't it.  Hiding behind loopholes, and doing what they want because they are so massive.

However, there is one aspect you can take into your own hands.  After going through the normal customer support channels (to avoid a form letter telling you to contact customer service), you can contact your Regional Vice President and issue your complaints / objections.

You're by no means guaranteed a response, but it's better than nothing.  Your chances improve dramatically I would imagine if you word your complaint well, and issue reasoned and logical arguments.  Again, it's important you exhaust all regular channels, to show that you've done your due diligence in an attempt to find a resolution.

I wrote my Regional VP last night, after two phone calls through sales/customer service and up through their chain of command with no resolution or information, and after multiple posts in these forums in the hopes of garnering an official response from a Verizon representative. 

I'm very tempted to write cnet/other news agencies as well.  Gone are the days when you can't get your voice heard by someone who wants to carry a torch on something.

0 Likes
KickedAbyss
Enthusiast - Level 3

Actually they are regional presidents, I miss typed that.

0 Likes
shutterbug07
Contributor - Level 2

Some of these threads are just crazy to me. To sue a company over a phone? Dont we have better things to do with our lives than to do this?  I understand that its annoying but really? its a cell phone..... #firstworldproblems

0 Likes
mnovosel
Enthusiast - Level 2

Shutterbug the point of the lawsuit wouldn't be due to a phone. That would

be pretty silly in itself. It's in the agreement of how and why Verizon

was allowed to expand. Simple as that. If there was no such agreement for

them to acquire the additional spectrum then the idea of suing would be

absurd. The point of me saying that was not out of anger that someone must

sue. The point was that Verizon could care less about customers. I mean

they care in the sense of "what can we do to keep the majority with us".

But you won't get the personal care or response you would from smaller

carriers that are battling for each client. They are comfortably cruising

up top. It's not sad, it's just business. We are just numbers in a

formula for them. If we don't want to be those numbers, then we can just

leave and go with a tiny carrier. Not likely to happen.

0 Likes
androidfreak
Contributor - Level 1

Verizon has plenty of flagship android devices....Take your pick..The average android user couldn't care less about timely

updates and less bloatware!!! I have an HTC Droid DNA and have it set up just the way I like it. Any other carriers service will most likely be sub-par compared to VZW, I do understand the reasons for owning a nexus device ( If I bring up any of that stuff my post will be edited). And the way my DNA is setup it runs super fast

0 Likes
openeyed01
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well thats good for YOU. Not for me and apparently alot more people willing to leave verizon for a nexus device. where I live tmobile has excellent coverage and so does att so thats a no brainer. ( also cutting my bill in half )Its well worth it to ME to finally not have to worry about this kind of problem ever again aka freedom of being told what I can do with MY device.

0 Likes
zombielove69
Contributor - Level 1

If you have complaints you can file suit with the FCC and Your State's Telecommunication's Regulatory Commission. I read every state has one. Those are the only two entity's I've read that people can file their complaints with. Unless you write your local congressmen, but I doubt anything would come from that, since the average United States citizens don't have lobbyist to get the attention of your local representatives that corporations get.

0 Likes