Re: Why Complain?
SoCal64
Enthusiast - Level 3

For the most part I do agree regarding the complaining part.  Yes it's just a phone and it's fine the way it is.  It's human nature to want bigger and/or better. 

By the same token we are paying for a service (in my case $85 a month for voice/data etc).  People just want what they are told they'll be getting.  Has nothing to do with "we're entitled to it" or "promises".   Uninformed sales people at Verizon use the "2.0/2.1 update" as a buzz word for a sale.  Where in reality they have no definitive information to offer.  In that regard Verizon is guilty. 

In my opinion they should just keep their mouth shut...roll it out when it's ready.  Sell the product for what it is instead of what it might be.   We wouldn't be the wiser of delays, bugs, or empty promises.   

HTC/Verizon should have had their ducks in a row developing and testing the update...(in the case of the Droid) which they did not. 

For those who are devastated of no update as of yet have the option of the 2.1 leak to fulfill your desires for the new features.  I enjoy the phone as is.  I do want the update at some point and willing to wait for a quality upgrade.

I personally have bigger fish to fry than to have OCD over a ...phone.  What will we obsess over once it does come out?  We'll find something else to complain about in it's place.  That's just how we're wired.

0 Likes
courthouseguy

M3lton,

If you describe being bitter as expecting a company to do what they say they'll do, then I guess I'm guilty.  I guess I expect people/a company to back up its words with actions.  And most reputable ones do.  I guess you are so jaded as to not have honest expectations of someone keeping their word.  How sad.

As for those that are sick of reading about complaints about VZ, the updates, etc, all I have to say is too bad.  These are public forums.  Don't like the comments?  Don't read them.  If people didn't voice their dissatisfaction, repeatedly even, how would VZ ever know it's an issue?  So get over yourselves.  Or go find the "let's praise VZW regardless of what they do" forums.

0 Likes
reallyniceguy
Contributor - Level 3
I have been with the company for 30 years!! I demand free service or else im switching to att!!! :smileytongue:
0 Likes
JWS1956

Why complain?? 

A more important question, Why not complain. 

We Eris users have a phone that has issues.  Not only did we purchase a very expensive phone (unless we got it BOGO).  We are paying for a service and on top of that we are paying $29.99 a month for extra services. 

I totally agree the phone is a fantastic phone.  But when I purchase a new item, I expect that item to work as advertised.  There is more than one program on my phone (and others from what I read on the forums) that do not work right and never have. 

One specific example.  Voice dialing.  I drive for a living and I can't just stop anytime I would like to make a phone call.  I rely heavily on voice dialing and since it does not work, I can't use it.  DUH. 

If I purchase a new car and the A/C doesn't work, I take it back to the dealer and make them fix it.  It is too much to ask for Eris users to expect the same thing? 

No, it is true we have never been promised anything.  But shouldn't we expect an item we pay for to work properly 100%.  Considering how "AWESOME" a phone it is. 

Would you be satisfied with a car that you were leasing but only worked 98% of the time? 

:smileyhappy:

0 Likes
logicman
Contributor - Level 3

@JWS1956 & courthouseguy - Complain all you want. But, you are using the wrong venue for your complaints. It clearly states on the main forum page:

These Forums are a peer-to-peer support channel in which users help other users. If you need an answer from Verizon directly please Contact Us.

Complain to Verizon directly. That's what the Contact Us link is for. That way there might be chance that someone from Verizon who is in a position to do something might actually see your complaint. And if that doesn't get you anywhere then try: Lowell C. McAdam, CEO, Verizon Wireless.

0 Likes
jayjay1122
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am actually in the middle of the road on this one; first I am annoyed that I was told in December when I got my Eris that I would be getting 2.1 by 1/23/2010 as I partially based my decision on this information....

Having said that, I cannot fathom all the endless questions and threads about "where is it?", "why don't I have it?", "Verizon lied to me!"

Yes, it sucks that it is not available yet, yes I am annoyed that I technically and partially purchased this device under false pretenses, but ranting and raving about it is useless!

I cringe at just logging in here anymore with all the repetative posts! And while we are at it, I could really do without the ENDLESS "Where is the Nexus One?" posts and the "Where is the Incredible?" posts...

Rant completed!! :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
max69442
Enthusiast - Level 2

I should first start out by saying that I don't own an Eris or any smartphone yet. I went in to look at phones in the store and to see how they worked for me because as I'm sure you know all you can find out from other people is how reliable/unreliable they are. How they actually work for you can only be determined by you. The main two I looked at were the Droid & the Eris. A salesman came up to me and asked what I was thinking of the two phones. I told him I was thinking about the Droid and he popped his Eris out and said that I should really reconsider that one. I asked him about the Eris having the older OS and he said most people will never notice the difference but there was going to be an update any day now. I then went on to ask about what I'd heard about how updates for the Eris would take longer because the Droid uses stock android and the Eris uses the Sense overlay and he said that that was a non issue because a separate team would be working on the update for the Eris. So as a potential customer reading this I am glad this issue was not just sent to the "Contact Us" link. Issues like this being brought into the light of day helps me make an informed decision when I go to buy something. Also, if that link is like talking to customer service, you might as well not post it because when I have had an issue where they had to call me back I have never gotten a call back. I have always had to keep calling back and the only way it was resolved was to keep them on the line until the matter was resolved. With email you don't have that option. I believe the reason they post that at the top is so people with issues will not post them and possibly keep potential customers from put off by any negative comments. I have never posted here but if they only want us to say glowing things about our carrier it's not really doing any service it's customers. And by the way, these are monitored by VZW's employees, if they see enough people are having a problem they will pass it on rather than let it get out of hand. I like my service with VZW for the most part, but sometimes they need to be reminded where they're getting their money from and companies that forget that don't usually continue to operate.

0 Likes
sranger

My only complaint is a serious lack of communication with it's customers ( or potential customers ).   A few quick updates would go a long way toward making people feel better.  I work in tech support and simply telling a customer that I am working on an issue, but have not yet arrived at a solution goes a long way toward making them happy....

I will get a new HTC droid later this year, but the Moto Droid is fine for now.....

Now being able to purchase media ( like movies and TV shows ) would be a sweet option that the Droid currently lacks....  ( not complaining, just wishing )

0 Likes
JWS1956

@logicman.  I do believe the topic of the post was "Why Complain".  I don't believe, except for an example that I posted, that anyone posted any complaints on this post.  If they did, I am mistaken.  What was posted were reasons for complaining.  I use "Contact US' link all the time and I also use the phone to lodge complaints with Verizon. 

0 Likes
colfrmb
My delete key fell off my keyboard the other day.... I only had this phone for a week. I wonder if it will last through the 2 year contract. I think its kind of funny in a way.
0 Likes