Why AppFlash Spyware
rfd177
Enthusiast - Level 3

Reported today that Verizon will begin installing AppFlash on new Android phones. I do not want to repost un-reliable info, is this true?

• Can anyone confirm that this software is spyware as reported?
  • That it will be going on all Android phones, etc??

Why the heck Verizon??

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why AppFlash Spyware
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Update - the article has been withdrawn, and the following notice posted:

UPDATE: We have received additional information from Verizon and based on that information we are withdrawing this post while we investigate further. Here is the statement from Kelly Crummey, Director of Corporate Communications of Verizon: "As we said earlier this week, we are testing AppFlash to make app discovery better for consumers. The test is on a single phone – LG K20 V – and you have to opt-in to use the app. Or, you can easily disable the app. Nobody is required to use it. Verizon is committed to your privacy. Visit www.verizon.com/about/privacy to view our Privacy Policy."

View solution in original post

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Another reason to purchase only the unlocked phones. Smiley Sad

Verizon phones will soon get the useless 'AppFlash' search tool in an upcoming rollout

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Mike225
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ann154​ I don't think it will matter whether you purchase an unlocked phone or one at the dealer.  This would be part of a package that Verizon would push out after your phone registers itself.

Wonder if Sophos or another scanner would kill the app or even detect it?

demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Just uninstall or disable it.

Lgill

Yes, it seems to be very true that this software is spyware and going to put us all at cyberrisk for getting hacked. I could keep going and venting but if you have ever had to deal with Verizon before, you know they do NOT listen to complaints from their customers, so, there's no need to even tell them. The do not listen. My family and I will be leaving Verizon as soon as we can when this spyware is installed on our devices to sell our private information.

The First Horseman of the Privacy Apocalypse Has Already Arrived: Verizon Announces Plans to Install...

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have a Pixel that supposedly was to have three VZW applications installed on it when I activated it. Guess what? None of those applications were installed or even requested to be installed when I used my previously activated SIM card to connect the phone to the Verizon Wireless network. I actually setup the phone on Wi-Fi without any VZW connection before I even activated it. If they attempt to install this newest piece of bloatware, it will be removed immediately or stopped from installing.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Lgill

Hi Ann154,

Hopefully when they do push this app/bloatware we will have the choice to disable/uninstall it.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I hope they drop the idea and send it to the lowest pit of Dante's Inferno.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Update - the article has been withdrawn, and the following notice posted:

UPDATE: We have received additional information from Verizon and based on that information we are withdrawing this post while we investigate further. Here is the statement from Kelly Crummey, Director of Corporate Communications of Verizon: "As we said earlier this week, we are testing AppFlash to make app discovery better for consumers. The test is on a single phone – LG K20 V – and you have to opt-in to use the app. Or, you can easily disable the app. Nobody is required to use it. Verizon is committed to your privacy. Visit www.verizon.com/about/privacy to view our Privacy Policy."