Re: When is Verizon going to offer a highend compact Android phone?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The question is, is whether or not the MANUFACTURERS are listening. Verizon Wireless can't do a thing about it if the manufacturers make a compatible phone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

rcschnoor
Legend

Ann154 wrote:

The question is, is whether or not the MANUFACTURERS are listening. Verizon Wireless can't do a thing about it if the manufacturers make a compatible phone.

And I am sure those manufacturers are watching VERY closely how successful the iPhone SE will be. It seems a shame that it took Apple to take the lead in this area.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

To Apple's credit, they did stay with a smaller phone longer than many other manufacturers.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

CES1027
Enthusiast - Level 3

I agree that the manufacturers have to make the phone, but I am willing to bet that Verizon has a say in the process. That may be as simple as Verizon guaranteeing "x" number of a certain phone is going to be sold, or possibly agreeing to pay the manufacturer "y" dollars to produce a particular model.  

In any case the phone manufacturers and the wireless phone companies are communicating with each other. If I change phone brands to stay with Verizon I hurt the manufacturer. If I change phone companies because a particular handset is not available that hurts Verizon.  This is a Verizon blog, not a Samsung or HTC of Sony blog, which is why I am asking Verizon to step up and get a high end compact Android phone.  I have made the request to Samsung and Sony on their sites to manufacture a high end compact phone that is compatible with Verizon. 

CES1027
Enthusiast - Level 3

Agreed......... My work phone is an iPhone 5S. If I could get past the square edges or the operating system I would have an iPhone SE, but I don't like either.......

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

CES1027 wrote:

I agree that the manufacturers have to make the phone, but I am willing to bet that Verizon has a say in the process. That may be as simple as Verizon guaranteeing "x" number of a certain phone is going to be sold, or possibly agreeing to pay the manufacturer "y" dollars to produce a particular model.

It also may be that Verizon does not think enough of a specific model of small screen android phone will be sold in order to make it worthwhile for Verizon to guarantee the number it would require before a manufacturer would agree. I am sure they know how well the Droid M sold and have extrapolated the prospects for another small screen android phone.

POSSIBLY if the iPhone is successful in selling a lot of units when bigger iPhones are available will tip the scales in that direction and android manufacturers will step up with a smaller phone.

0 Likes
CES1027
Enthusiast - Level 3

I agree...... Let's hope that is the case.... thanks for the valuable insight.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

So far the SE sales have reported around the same as Android compact devices which isn't much.  Ironically sales went up for Apple when they moved away from 4"

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon Wireless could have less say then you think. For example, the Moto X 2015 pure edition, the Nexus 5x and Nexus 6P are all compatible with the Verizon Wireless network and Verizon Wireless can't stop anyone from activating one of those phones. Sony easily could have made their phones compatible with the Verizon Wireless network. They chose not to. Samsung could decide to make a universal model of their phones no matter what the size. They chose not to. With the $20 upgrade fee for purchasing a new phone at the full retail price from Verizon Wireless, more people are going to start considering purchasing their devices elsewhere. Which in turn could mean for universal devices from more manufacturers.

CES1027
Enthusiast - Level 3

According to CNET on April 27, 2016

The iPhone SE is proving more popular than Apple expected, creating a logjam for consumers trying to snag one.

In Tuesday's conference call to discuss its fiscal second-quarter results, Apple CEO Tim Cook said that demand for the new 4-inch-screened phone has been strong and is exceeding supply.

"We're working hard to get the iPhone SE into the hands of every customer who wants one, as quickly as possible," Cook said on the call.

The online Apple Store reveals a wait time of two to three weeks for virtually all variations of the SE. A check of major cities across the United States, including New York, Los Angeles, Dallas and Chicago, shows the phone as unavailable for in-store pick up at almost every location.

Samsung are you listening?  Where is the Galaxy S7 Mini?

0 Likes