What is the point of having a smartphone if nothing ever works?
footballchick66
Enthusiast - Level 2

Before my GS3 updated to kitkat my apps would crash all the time. My phone updated last week and now the apps work but in what used to be areas with strong steady 4g coverage I have no data. So annoyed. I can turn my data on and without touching it I'll have 4g for a minute and then none before coming back for 5 seconds only to go out again. What am I paying for?  My office doesn't have wifi and I have a large data allowance but what is the point if I can never use it?  I do a lot of travelling and use my phone as a GPS but as I have no no longer have reliable service anywhere even in Philadelphia where it was a constant 4g.  Not to mention the GPS is unreliable as well. Waze is an amazing GPS but to have a phone that doesn't work half the time is frustrating. I should just go back to my old flip phone that lasted me 2 days on a single charge. My phone is due for an upgrade in a few months. Maybe I'll save some money and get something that isn't a smartphone and I won't have to worry about paying for the data and everything else that comes with having a smartphone.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: What is the point of having a smartphone if nothing ever works?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

footballchick66,

I am glad to hear that your apps are working correctly now but very sad to hear of the issues you are now having with signal. Do you notice you lose signal everywhere on just in certain areas? What zipcode are you in? Have you tried removing and reinserting your SIM? http://vz.to/S7Jf6p Have you had your SIM replaced since this issue began?

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
footballchick66
Enthusiast - Level 2

I live in zip code 18951 and work in zip code 19132. I am having issues in both areas. I took my phone to the Verizon store and had my sim card replaced. No matter where I go and what I have done it cuts out.  This problem only began two weeks ago when my phone updated to kitkat. It worked great before that. I had service everywhere. I am wasting time trying to fix my phone while my data plan sits not being used. I have a very large data plan that I am paying for with a smart phone that might as well be my old flip phone.

0 Likes
CountriGal
Enthusiast - Level 3

How long is Verizon going to let these ongoing problems persist when it is apparent that Kitkat update did nothing to help users actually USE their phones???  I've been doing online research and it is very apparent to me, who also started having problems with reliable phone and 4G service after the Kitkat update ran on my phone, that it is a known issue.  And the solutions given by the Verizon techs do not solve the problems.  I have blown my phone away and went back to factory settings to no avail other than losing all my apps and having to now re-load all of them, because  oh yeah... the google backup didn't backup and restore either.  I have tried all the trouble shooting offered, as have so many others, but no one seems to have stumbled up on the solution.... a new "upgrade" that undoes the issues that Kitkat is giving!  As a long time Verizon customer, I'm seriously starting to re-think my provider since my phone is not usable 90% of my time.

This is not a rhetorical question.... honestly, what is Verizon doing to actually find a real solution to this problem?  When can I expect my phone to start working once more as it did before the 'update' ran?

0 Likes
footballchick66
Enthusiast - Level 2

If this is a problem with my phone then I will gladly take this up with Samsung. But right now I am paying for a service I can hardly use and I am frustrated because I use my data on a regular basis for directions and gps. I just want to get this sorted out. My phone isn't due for an upgrade until November. If I can't sort this out I am going to go out and buy an inexpensive gps and reduce my data plan to 2gigs because it would be cheaper that way. I just need to know what the situation is.

rcschnoor
Legend

It would be cheaper that way regardless, which is why I prefer using the GPS in my car. It also has a bigger screen.Smiley Happy

One thing you may want to look into is storing your directions on your phone when you have an available wifi signal. Google Maps lets you do that for those times when there is no cellular service available. Of course you must have the current version of Google Maps.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Your device is made by Samsung, Verizon did not  nor will they make cell phones.

Verizon provides Cellular and Data service to a functional device.

Google & Samsung pushed out the Kitty Kat update that made a working device now dysfunctional. Why blame Verizon for something they have not done to your phone?

Every cellular provider is getting hit with these complaints and issues. So good luck at your new provider.

Contact the maker of the device, it is their responsibility not Verizon's tech support to fix a broken device.

Good Luck

0 Likes
footballchick66
Enthusiast - Level 2

I use Waze for my GPS. I like the social aspect of it. The traffic information is more up to date and I know when to expect brake lights. If waze sold a standalone gps id be happy but it doesnt work that way.

0 Likes
footballchick66
Enthusiast - Level 2

If this is a problem with my phone then I will gladly take this up with Samsung. But right now I am paying for a service I can hardly use and I am frustrated because I use my data on a regular basis for directions and gps. I just want to get this sorted out. My phone isn't due for an upgrade until November. If I can't sort this out I am going to go out and buy an inexpensive gps and reduce my data plan to 2gigs because it would be cheaper that way. I just need to know what the situation is.

0 Likes
CountriGal
Enthusiast - Level 3

I can understand that Verizon did not make the phone.  My satellite provider did not make the dish nor the receiver I use either, but if they malfunction and make it to where I cannot receive their service (the satellite signal) then the satellite provider assists in getting equipment that works.  If it is a software issue, they have more sway with the provider of said software, as the representative and mass user of the software, than individual customers do.  So if Verizon is receiving multiple complaints from their customers, complaints that their customers are unable to use the service that they are being paid to provide, then they can go to manufacturer to request the fix.  Who do you think Google or Samsung is going to listen to more, an individual who received a phone from a 3rd party (Verizon) or the entire company who purchases those items (phones and software) en-masse and thus can more affect their bottom line?  As another example... when you purchase a car and the seatbelt malfunctions, do you go to the seatbelt manufacturer or back to the car maker?  Should each person who has a seatbelt malfunction go to the seatbelt maker or should the car maker issue a recall on all affected vehicles and offer a fix, provided from the seatbelt maker?  When I go back to Samsung or Google, and IF they listen to me and initiate a fix, what priority is Verizon going to make it to get it out to their customers?  Or is Verizon relying upon each disgruntled user to go find their own fix without it affecting them (Verizon) at all?  Other service providers have already started issuing fixes according to my research... and if Verizon delayed pushing this update out for so long (as I've seen complaints that it was), why did they push it with these known issues and not insist before they pushed it out that Google or Samsung fix it first so as not to get these complaints?  Sorry, but Verizon is at least partially responsible for my inability to use their service, as the provider of the equipment and software that I need to be able to utilize their services.  I didn't go out on the black market and purchase this phone, I bought it at a Verizon store.  I have not rooted the phone or in any way done anything other than add about 6 apps to the phone from the way it was provided to me by the store, and their required update - pushed across their cellular and data service - is what has resulted in my phone no longer being functioning.  So yes, while Verizon may not manufacture the phone or the software, they are in fact the provider of said items to me and thus are responsible, and should be pushing back to Google or Samsung to get a fix for their customers.  I was hoping to hear that Verizon was doing just that, but it does not appear to be the case.... Yes, other providers may be having the same issue, but I've seen them working with their customers to get a solution, providing CUSTOMER SERVICE to their customers, and that is all that I and others like me, have been looking for from Verizon in this kitkat fiasco and which they have been failing at.

0 Likes