What is "Data Usage"
Rich54Kelly
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Samsung Stratosphere. My plan allows 4 gb. of usage monthly. For the first time in over two years of owning this phone, my Data usage has gone over 1 gb. what exactly is considered "Data Usage" and how can I manage it?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: What is "Data Usage"
tbo27
Master - Level 2

Data usage takes place when you use your phone for visiting Web sites, emails, apps like Facebook or Instagram when you are not connected to wifi. You Can Manage it By in settings Under data usage and limit mobile data usage and set limits with the graph.  Or by simply watch what you are doing when you're not on wifi don't stream audio or video as much. You can also add family base feature for $5/ month which let's you make hard stop on mobile data at 4G for example and you mange that from your my Verizon online via a control panel. It's free for 3 months on a more everything plan also.  Hope this helps

pamelawy
Enthusiast - Level 1

New to a wireless phone, and just got my first "You've used 75% of your data allowance" with ten days to go in the allowance period. First reaction: EGAD! How'd that happen??? My initial question upon receiving that notice - What constitutes data? - has been answered here, but raises another one. If I'm in airplane mode and using WIFI, am I still charged data usage on things like Facebook, Instragram, email, etc.?

0 Likes
pamelawy
Enthusiast - Level 1

Let me be a bit more specific. I've "borrowed" an audio book from the library and am listening to it on my phone. Does the act of listening to the book constitute data usage? I've got a few card game apps. When I play one (against myself, not online), is that usage? Does using Maps as a GPS burn data? This total newbie thanks you for being patient with newbie questions!

0 Likes