Re: What is VZWAVSSERVICE?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can understand it's pretty annoying to get that message, zombielove69. This message has been popping up on multiple make and model devices since an automatic update to the Google application through the Play Store (even if you don't necessarily use the application). But good news! There's a way to uninstall the update and customers have reported the error message has stopped. To uninstall updates for the Google application, go to Settings > Manage Applications > All > Google > Uninstall Updates and then power cycle the device. At this time, the best way to prevent this error after uninstalling updates to Google is to disable Automatic Updates in the google play store by selecting Menu > Settings > Auto Update Apps > Do not Auto-Update Apps.

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
worldtraveler58
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is it possible to tell us what that code does?

0 Likes
keithl777

It's useless bloatware by Verizon, go into application manager and disable it. I never saw that again after doing this.

0 Likes
murrill4

Can't disable on s5.

0 Likes
TheS1R
Contributor - Level 2

@JenniferH_VZW: Unfortunately, you are not answering the original question:  What is the function of the VZWAVSService?

While reverting to an earlier version of Google+ is a temporary workaround, this is not a permanent solution -- by doing so, a user circumvents other bug fixes and/or enhancements to the Google+ app. Neither is blindly disabling the service as suggested by others as nobody can ascertain what the service actually does. Since it is (at least in name), something added to the device by Verizon (aka VZW), vzwsupport should have the resources to investigate this further for users. Does VZW perform any testing of its own of the effect of Google updates on VZW apps and services?

King72
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey Jennifer, I appreciate the information. However, I'm concerned that this fix only masks the true issue. I do use Google Hangouts on a limited basis, so I like to keep my application up to date. It also doesn't work for those who like to auto update their apps. In all fairness, you did say "At this time" this is the best way to prevent the error. I'm curious, if this is a Google issue, do you know if anyone has reached out to them to initiate a true fix?

worldtraveler58
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sure you can.  In the application manager, select "all" at the top and scroll down till you find it.  Click on it and then click on "disable".

0 Likes
LarryBrad
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is there any way that Verizon could assign somebody to answer questions about failures on Verizon phones.  The VZWAVSService failure notice mentioned here and all over the web but nothing coherent or timely is coming from Verizon  -- just user guesses and home-baked solutions.  My problem sudden appeared on my Verizon Galaxy S3 today and I find the problem is described on many different Verizon devices and appeared several days ago.  If you can't give a solution, just say that but please, at least tell us what VZWAVSService is supposed to do we can twist-in-the-wind we some useful information.  Thank you.

bktdd
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've seen this question asked several times and not once has customer service answered what this service does?  Can we learn what the function is?  Before I stop auto updates, which I prefer, and uninstall G+ latest update, I would like to know what this error is for and what is being impacted.  Verizon just replaced my S5 after software update stopped my 4G from working and I had this error on old phone and now have it on my brand new replacement.  I also note that up until recently, every time I downloaded an app it would be scanned for virus but now that is not happening so want to know if this is related. 

King72
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry meant "I do use Google+ on..."

0 Likes