What Discount
IAmWhatIAm
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have been with Verizon longer than I can remember. Today i went online to look at what discounts I can get to switch to 3 new smartphones. All they offered was $100 off my primary phone. I also wanted to get data. They said under my other two phones that I was entitled to a discount. However, after adding the other phones and looking at what I would pay for the new phones it was no cheaper than going with Sprint. My first smartphone with Sprint I only had to pay $49.00 for it.

Well the price of the phones was no cheaper than what I priced on sprint as a new customer. The data was more expensive also. So I am switching to Sprint since I have not had a contract for many years with Verizon. Even if I did I would pay it off.

Anyoen else see this happening also?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: What Discount
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Ok?

0 Likes
Not applicable

Best of luck to you with Sprint.  If they have excellent coverage locally all the better.  Just hope when you travel, if you travel,  that your coverage is also good.  Many times that is where Sprint is somewhat lacking.  However, if you stick with travelling to just large cities like LA, Chicago, New York and the like, you should be fine,

Again, best of luck to you.

budone
Legend

You are entitled to discounted phones on the other two lines, not an add'l discount the main line receives. It has always been this way

0 Likes
maya0630
Contributor - Level 3

Maybe instead of looking for discounts on line you might want to go to an actual store. They may be able to help you more efficiently and maybe also work something out that you would not find on line. I had a colleague who had not used her upgrades for a few years and when she went to the Verizon store they actually gave her her smartphone for free.

As far as Sprint is concerned, good luck. There is a reason why carriers like Sprint still offer unlimited data. Their coverage is pretty bad. I had Sprint for 2 years before switching back to Verizon. Yes, they will save you money but the hassle of not getting your calls or roaming 100 feet from your house (and I live in a big metro area) is really not worth it.

IAmWhatIAm
Enthusiast - Level 3

I may try the local stores (Verizon and Sprint). As far as coverage Sprint has the coverage I need for where I travel. I was with Sprint for 10 years or so before switching to Verizon. I got talked into switching by my father-in-law (I think he got something for us to switch. Not sure it was a long time ago). I never had any major problems with Sprint back then and I traveled over half the country.

When I log into my Verizon account it says I will get $100 off my primary phone and a discount on my other two phones. When I go to get the new phones from Verizons website it shows the $100 discount which still ends up being more than the cost of a first phone with Sprint and the second two lines did not show any discount at all. Same price for those other phones as it was on Sprint.

I plan to get a Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S3 and an iPhone 5. I have not had a contract with Verizon for many years so I can switch without any penalties.

After reading over many, many posts it seems Verizon also has a lot of problems including not updating their phones such as the S3. In the past two months when my wife tried to call me she did not even get to leave a voice message 14 times on Verizons network. Even if my phone was off or did not work she should have at least been able to leave a voice mail message. My voice mailbox is empty. That got me to worrying about what if it had been an emergency. Even though my phone was on it never rang. In my 10 years with Sprint I had never had a missed call like that.

Neither cell phone carrier seems to be much better than the other. About the same with about the same complaints, however I have learned from being on here that Verizon is late on getting updates on some droid phones.

I don't use data and I was just getting it for my daughter to use on her phone if she wanted to use it. With Sprint I get the same data for every phone at one low price. If the data works then fine and if it doesn't work all the time it won't matter since we can still call each other and other people. As I have stated the another problem was not getting a comparable discount or a discount I should be getting when it says my phones are eligible for a discount. The next problem is Verizon not having the Droid 4.1.1 Jelly Bean update.

Whatever I decide I hope everyone enjoys the carrier they decide to use.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

You do realize that getting a $650 phone for $299 IS a discount, right? Just because somebody else has it cheaper does not mean you are not getting a discount.

IAmWhatIAm
Enthusiast - Level 3

If I am getting a bigger discount with a different cell phone company, then what Verizon is offering is a joke and not a discount.

When a new customer discount with another carrier is better than the Verizon discount for a current customer that just shows Verizon does not care about customer loyalty. They should, at the least, match any other carrier. Of course it couldn't be about corporate greed to get as much money as they can get from people.

Brand loyalty is a stupid reason to stay with any company if a better deal is offered with similar or better service.

I have not seen Verizons network as being any better than Sprint.

When I had my phones, and the contract had been expired for several months, one of the phones was not working right so I called Verizon. After several phone calls the rep told me I needed to get a new phone which would include getting a new contract or pay full price for the phone. I took the phone to the local Verizon store and they solved the problem in less than 10 minutes.

No $650 phone is worth $650. Any company can put an MSRP of whatever they want on whatever you buy and then make you think you are getting a big discount. Every carrier has their phones listed so people think they are getting a discount and some are offering better discounts. The idea behind this is to get people to sign a contract. Getting a $650 phone for $49 is an even better discount.

Have you ever considered that phone prices are jacked up so people won't buy the phone without getting a contract?

So what you are saying is that Verizons discount is not really a loyal customer discount. It is the discount everyone else gets. So they are just making people believe they will get a better discount by their wording.

When another carrier is offering phones cheaper than Verizon I am getting a better discount than Verizon is giving. When another carrier has a cheaper plan with more in the plan than Verizon is offering I am also getting a discounted plan.

And the $100 off discount on the primary line is not even close to what is being offered elsewhere.

I am glad you are happy with Verizon. When I make a purchase I look at the best deal.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

I looked at the best deal as well, and Verizon is it, I get the best coverage for my money. What's the point of coming to a peer to peer forum to argue about it? If you get a better deal somewhere else, and the coverage suits your needs, then change carriers. You act as if somebody is forcing you to stay and pay for something you don't want.

IAmWhatIAm
Enthusiast - Level 3

Actually neither one is better. Been on both with same results. However, we can end this forum because I am going with the better deal which is Sprint after visiting both stores. Since I don't travel in swamps or in the boondocks Sprint covers everywhere I go on their network and I have the option to use roaming. No carrier covers every place people could possibly go.

People have to realize that others on here could be posting comments and work for Verizon.

I also found out I qualify for a monthly discount on the plan I picked. The guy said that I could have gotten a discount with Verizon if they had bothered to tell me. So I will be saving even more money.

Just making a point about the different services, prices and reliability. All of the cell phone carriers seem to have issues.

Best of luck with whatever carrier everyone picks. Have a safe and happy holiday season.

0 Likes