Weather location is wrong
stengen

I have two Android device, one S4 mini and a LG tablet.

Both systems think my weather is in Finneytown which is 20 miles away from my home

Why is the auto location so far off yet the google map is correct?

Contact Accuweather which appears to be part of the home screen app and they are of no help.

Seems to be a VZW location service issue

How does this get fixed??

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Weather location is wrong
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

What weather app are you using?  I've used Weather Bug, the default Weather app, and one other I can't remember now.  Each has their own locations where the data comes from, and some are closer to my actual location than others.

Try a few different apps and see which one is most accurate for your specific location.  I recently traveled from California to New York and back via Wisconsin, and the difference in forecasts and current weather was decidedly different between the three apps; I used one in NY, and a different one in WI and now back home. Use the one that seems to give you the best info for where you are, and it may not be the one that came built in on the phone.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

stengen,

Let's see if we can get you weather that is as accurate to your location as possible. While at home, on your Galaxy S4 press the menu button on the home screen and touch settings. Make sure Wi-Fi is off. Select "Location services" and turn "Access to my location" off. Press the back button to go back to the settings menu. Select "Application Manager" and select "All" on top. Scroll to and touch Weather. Select "Force Stop" and then "Clear Data." Power the phone off and remove the SIM card: http://vz.to/1qPjF3v .

Reseat your SIM card and power the device back on. Go to settings again and select "Location services." Turn on "Access to my location," and ensure there are check marks for "GPS and Verizon location services" and "Google Wi-Fi & mobile network location."

Next, check your data location by loading a new webpage. If a webpage loads you know you have a data connection. Finally, go to the weather widget and touch the icon that looks like 2 arrows in the lower right to refresh the information. Let us know if it reflects your correct location information.

BrianP_VZW
Follow Us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
stengen

No this did not work

0 Likes
stengen

Google maps knows where I am, but weather does not

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

What weather app are you using?  I've used Weather Bug, the default Weather app, and one other I can't remember now.  Each has their own locations where the data comes from, and some are closer to my actual location than others.

Try a few different apps and see which one is most accurate for your specific location.  I recently traveled from California to New York and back via Wisconsin, and the difference in forecasts and current weather was decidedly different between the three apps; I used one in NY, and a different one in WI and now back home. Use the one that seems to give you the best info for where you are, and it may not be the one that came built in on the phone.

0 Likes