Want a "group" SMS where recipients can't reply to other recipients. (A kind of BCC?)
tgm1024
Enthusiast - Level 2

My phone:  DROID 4 / (verizon wireless) / Running Android (GB 2.3.6)

I want to SMS a group of people, but don't want any of them to know of the others.  I can't seem to find an app that will generate multiple single-SMS texts.

I can't have any recipient respond to the others.

I can't have any recipient know who the others are.

I don't even want any recipient to know that there *are* others.

Any ideas?  The tech support says "nope, can't be done unless you find an app that can do that."  Yeah, ok.  Now what?

Thanks!!!!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Want a "group" SMS where recipients can't reply to other recipients. (A kind of BCC?)
AZSALUKI
Legend

"multiple single" is an oxymoron. what you want to do is send a bunch of individual texts, so do just that. no app that i'm aware of can do it. why don't you just construct one text and copy the text. then paste it, one at a time in a new text to each person?

0 Likes
Re: Want a "group" SMS where recipients can't reply to other recipients. (A kind of BCC?)
tgm1024
Enthusiast - Level 2

English grammar critique in a technology forum?  No,"multiple single-SMS texts" is not an oxymoron.  You can ask for "multiple pairs" of something, or "multiple groups of 10".  "Multiple single-SMS texts" is precisely as you also describe----"a bunch of individual texts", which shows that you knew what I wanted: not multiple SMS texts interpreted by the carrier as a single group chat of some kind.

Yes, I can do this by hand one at a time, but some of my texts need to go out to 30 individuals.  Not a viable solution.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i was just kidding with the oxymoron thing. it doesn't seem like it would take very much time though just to paste the same text in to 30 individual SMS messages. it does seem like one of the SMS apps should be able to do this though?

0 Likes
tgm1024
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry, I react far too quickly to this kind of thing----I've just been through a few too many wars on USENET with people being pedantic over unbelievably trivial @#$%.  I apologize.

No, that takes a long time to do.  Clicking through individual txt creations?  Besides, this is something to become semi routine.

Yeah, you'd think this would be a slam-dunk option out there, but I can't seem to find it.  I did find a post who had the same incredulous attitude that I have: "Am I really the only one bothered by this?"  A couple others I've seen want this ability, but somehow an SMS "BCC:" approach just doesn't seem of interest to enough people to warrant an app.

Either that or I'm so hopped on caffeine that my multitude of searches actually did find one and I mistook it for an angry birds variant.  At this point, I'm not quite sure.  I'm only dimly aware I'm even typing...

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you considered sending the massage as a plain text email?  You can use phonenumber@vtext.com and replace the "phonenumber" with the ten digit number.  Then you should be able to use the blind copy feature of the email.  If some of your texts are going to different carrier then you will need the email address version of the phone number to send the message.  I know the list has been posted several times before on this community.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
tgm1024
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, that's a non-starter.  vtext.com strictly enforces the 160 character limit, as an email address and from the HTTP: front-end.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If they are MMS messages then use the email version of that.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
tgm1024
Enthusiast - Level 2

How?  MMS texts will easily handle large messages, but a text to an email address, even an MMS one, always is truncated as SMS.  At least on Verizon.  And worse-----even if it DID work, all the replies to me would be forced through vtext and truncated.

Please tell me I'm missing something....  (Use those exact words if you like Smiley Happy  )

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

what is the email addresses for pictures messages?

0 Likes