Voice on GSM frequency (900)
kanabi

Hi!

I have two Droid pro phones from Verizon.
They are both unlocked to use abroad and have latest system update - 4.6.8.XT610.Verizon.en.US.
Baseband version: N_01.81.00R.

I am using phones in Kazakhstan on KCell (Kazakhstan local telecom provider) which operates on 900/2100 frequencies.

And I see very strange behaviour with this phones:
While the phone on GSM frequency I can't hear anything - absolute silence during a call while on GSM, or I can hear for a first few seconds (1-3) and then again - nothing.
I can hear only signals from numbers on Dialpad when I press it.

At the same time, if the phone switched to UMTS band (I see that because 3G icon is shown) I can talk easily, no problem at all.

Tested on both phones - same situation.
Tested on other providers (Beeline) - same.

Can anyone can tell, what all this mean and how can I solve this?
Does anyone experienced similar problem?

Thank you!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Voice on GSM frequency (900)
davegr
Contributor - Level 2

Go into settings and disable data roaming (settings+wireless networks+mobile networks+ uncheck data roaming+ reboot for good measure).  Not sure if it will work but give it a shot and report back.

Cheers,

David

0 Likes
kanabi

Hi David!

Thank you for your answer.

I'm using local SIM card, not Verizon when connected to KCell.

So, data roaming is disabled all the time.

But what I found is that when I uncheck "Data enabled" in Settings -> Battary & data manager, sometimes I can hear sound during a call, but sometimes (on another calls) not.

Also, when WiFi is enabled most probably everything will work (I think because all data goes through WiFi, not GSM module).

Looks like data and voice cannot work together ...

Best regards,

Kanat

0 Likes
davegr
Contributor - Level 2

I understand that you are using a local sim card.  But the option to uncheck data roaming should still be there no matter what sim card you have in there.  I have heard of this problem with the WCDMA channels and yes, it has something to do with data...not sure what though.

0 Likes
kanabi

I tried to check and then uncheck the Data roaming field.

This doesn't help as well as "Data enabled" field.

I see problem only with GSM frequency, while on UMTS everything is working.

Do you know, is this a hardware bug or software one?

I just wondering if custom ROMs can help me solve this problem, like Cyanogen...

0 Likes
davegr
Contributor - Level 2

Weeeird.  Not sure if it is hardware or software...betting it's software.  Well, that this point I have not idea what to try next.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Can you provide the specs of the carrier you are trying to use.

I have a feeling it's carrier settings vs phone settings.

0 Likes
kanabi

> Can you provide the specs of the carrier you are trying to use

I'm not sure which specs do you mean, but the company name is KCell, it's GSM 900 operator (not sure about 1900 frequency).

http://www.kcell.kz/en/?l=physsettings&y=general

They also has 3G license (UMTS 2100).

At the same time, my Samsung Galaxy Tab (P1000) is working fine including voice calls, no problems at all...

0 Likes