Verizon blocks tethering(HotSpot) in a foreign country, when used with different provider
msa-777

Since I travel a lot, when I was purchasing the phone and getting the service, I was assured that I will not have any problems with SIM swaping, since the phone is unlocked.

I've bought a SIM card with local GSM provider. I can make calls, internet is working. But on the attempt to enable tethering, it says that I should buy from Verizon some other special plan.

Tethering did work when I was in US with Verizon. Phone LG 4G.

Very weird - you need a enable some Verizon plan, while working with non-Verizon provider.

So, how do I enable tethering? Can I get some unlocking code?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon blocks tethering(HotSpot) in a foreign country, when used with different provider
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Msa-777, We don’t want our international services to be jetlagged. Yes, your LG phone is able to work with a local SIM card. However services available can vary and need to be addressed with local provider. If you decide to use the Verizon Wireless card then we can assist to make sure all flows as it should. If you need further assistance we are here for you or http://vz.to/1hIcOZu
JoelR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Re: Verizon blocks tethering(HotSpot) in a foreign country, when used with different provider
Weth
Legend

Try this.

Settings/general/reset

select reset network settings.

This is just a residual setting from Verizon, reset to get update settings info from the new carrier.

0 Likes
msa-777

Screenshot_2015-08-28-23-46-32[1].png

The image above is what I am getting. I am getting it even if I have no SIM card. It gives the same thing, when I insert a local provider SIM card.

I don't have this setting: Settings/general/reset

It has "Reset settings" in "Backup and restore". I did that and it didn't help.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

I am 100% certain you have the reset network settings if you have an iPhone 6. The screen shot you have above is not an iPhone. You are asking this question in the iPhone 6 section.

If it is an iPhone 6, On your phone in the main page. Go to Settings, click on it.

No on settings, look down the list and click on General.

Scroll all the way to the bottom and you will see reset. Click on that

The third item on the next screen will say "Reset Network Settings"

Click on that.

It is a residual setting from when you were on Verizon. You need to force an update. There is nothing Verizon can do on their end, it is the phone that needs to be forced to update and ask for new settings from the new carrier.

If it is not an iPhone as indicated by your picture, you should post this in the android forum. Again though, it is not something Verizon can fix or is blocking, just a setting that needs to be forced updated from the new carrier.

0 Likes
msa-777

It also gives me this message as well, when local SIM card is inserted.

I am very disappointed how all these companies are doing their jobs only half way, cutting time and money on testing of their products, leaving it to the customers to discover all these issues.

I've spent already about 24 hours of my vacation time trying to resolve it!!!!

Screenshot_2015-08-29-00-19-57.png

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

It is obvious you don't have an iPhone 6 at this point. I strongly recommend you post this in the Android part of this site so the experts in Android will see your problem and be able to help you. I know iPhones, but not Android.

0 Likes
msa-777

Why are you taking about iPhone? Where did I mention the iPhone 6???

Verizon should do and should know what to do about it. It's their product and their responsibility. At least they should tell me that this is not going to work, when selling it to me!

0 Likes
msa-777

Ok, I got it. I have no idea how it got into the iPhone section. Smiley Happy

0 Likes