Verizon and WiFi calling?
hasanfaizan09

I have a newer home so I have a difficult time acquiring a cell signal I think its because of the insulation. My contract ends today and I plan to switch to Verizon. Verizon plans on introducing WiFi calling in the middle of next year which would be something I need (I'm not interested in purchasing a Microcell or cell extender). From what I understand Android phones are modified by the carriers to implement WiFi calling if I purchase a Note 4 or a Nexus 6 from Verizon would it be able to support WiFi calling when it rolls out? I know that the iPhone will be able to support it because its a feature from Apple which is supported in iOS 8. I REALLY don't want an iPhone and Verizon is giving me the best deal. Do you guys think its possible that Verizon will make it work via a software update?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon and WiFi calling?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Don't make a purchase based on a possible future update.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

heedshot
Contributor - Level 1

Take Ann154's advice...just cause they will doesn't mean it will be backwards compatible. I like the thought of the service at say my parents house where in that hole all servoce is terrible

0 Likes
bufedad
Enthusiast - Level 2

The short answer is... it should be able to.

The long answer is, it is unlikely Verizon will allow that functionality on phones already sold, because it pressures you to purchase a new phone, and that's profitable for them.

I've never known Verizon to put Subscribers needs and desires above profitability.

dypchan

Talk is cheap.  The representative can tell you anything but the matter of the fact is the WiFi calling is not out. Who know what the future is. I would not buy something base of what the minimum wage guys tell you. I have weak signal too at my house, the only thing they offer me is to spend $200 to buy a network extender.  CAN YOU HEAR ME?  SORRY I CAN'T HEAR YOU I AM ON THE VERIZON WIRELESS NETWORK.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

WiFi calling is already, and has been available on Androids for a couple years now using the built in Hangouts app and dialer.

0 Likes