Verizon Wireless Software Upgrade Assistant
zziccardi

Hi. I have previously posted my issue at the following site, however I'm yet to receive any responses. I'm not the type to give up, so I figured I would try something else.

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/774664

Please read over my question (which I just provided the link to) carefully before answering either this question or that one. Thanks.

Anyway, after no one responded to my last question, I decided to contact LG about the issue.

An LG representative replied to me via email saying that Verizon is solely responsible for upgrades regarding my device.

Additionally, she said to look into the Verizon Wireless Software Upgrade Assistant, which I have installed on my computer.

However, when I plug my device into the computer, the application doesn't recognize that it is plugged in, while the computer itself does.

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit).

I've attempted to find out more about the program with Google, but couldn't find anything.

So, here's my question (actually, questions😞

Can I use the Verizon Wireless Software Upgrade Assistant to update my device? Does it even work with Androids? If so, how?

Thank you in advance, I would greatly appreciate some feedback. Even if you're unsure of the answer, tell me what you do know that might be useful.

Thanks, again.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon Wireless Software Upgrade Assistant
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

The LG rep you received the email from was correct, sort of.  Verizon pushes updates to their phones OTA (Over The Air).  However, LG is the one who puts together the firmware.  The Software Upgrade Assistant will be of no assistance, AFAIK, Android phones don't even use that program.  As far as upgrading from 2.2 to a higher version, this has to be put together by LG, and approved by Verizon.  There are other ways to "upgrade" your device, but they will void your warranty and cannot be discussed in this forum.  Unfortunately, the situation here is that, while Google provides the source code, it has to be tailored to each device, and this is up to the manufacturer, with Verizon providing testing and final approval.  LG's upgrade record hasn't been the best, so I'm thinking you're stuck where you're at.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

The LG rep you received the email from was correct, sort of.  Verizon pushes updates to their phones OTA (Over The Air).  However, LG is the one who puts together the firmware.  The Software Upgrade Assistant will be of no assistance, AFAIK, Android phones don't even use that program.  As far as upgrading from 2.2 to a higher version, this has to be put together by LG, and approved by Verizon.  There are other ways to "upgrade" your device, but they will void your warranty and cannot be discussed in this forum.  Unfortunately, the situation here is that, while Google provides the source code, it has to be tailored to each device, and this is up to the manufacturer, with Verizon providing testing and final approval.  LG's upgrade record hasn't been the best, so I'm thinking you're stuck where you're at.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is a peer to peer forum and not everyone reads every question nor do those who read this community answer every question. You really didn't need to create a NEW discussion for your question. A response to your original question would have brought it up to the top of the recent topics again.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
zziccardi

Thanks for such a quick reply, I really appreciate it.

While I already knew everything you said about how Android software works, you answered my questions regarding the Software Upgrade Assistant.

Thanks again for taking the time to read everything and answer my questions.

0 Likes
zziccardi

Please believe me when I say that I completely understand everything you've said.

This is certainly not my first visit to a forum, and I actively participate in other forums.

That being said, I disagree with what you've said about the fact that I created a new discussion.

The reason for creating a new thread was that this time I had new questions to ask.

These are the new questions: "Can I use the Verizon Wireless Software Upgrade Assistant to update my device? Does it even work with Androids? If so, how?"

Additionally, I think it's necessary to say that the only purpose in mentioning my previous question was to set the context.

The new questions are specifically regarding the Software Upgrade Assistant, while the old ones were not.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

You're welcome, I always find it easier to give more information than needed to try and eliminate some of the back and forth that comes with trouble shooting.

0 Likes
zziccardi

I couldn't agree with you more there.

0 Likes