Re: Verizon PLEASE stop pushing bloatware on us!
Tidbits
Legend

jroal wrote:

...and as we have said many times before on this looooonnnnnggg thread, it is indeed Verizon apps we are mostly complaining about and it is Verizon who is responsible for them being locked to the device.  We purchased the device from Verizon and it has their name on it.  Here are some of the apps we are talking about:

Backup Assistant

Verizon Video

VCast Tones

VCast Music

VZ Navigator

Here is a longer list: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1238472

Also as we have said many times in this thread, there is no value to anyone, Verizon and the device manufacturer included, for locking the apps to the device.  djay is right.    A little listening to the customer would really do Verizon some good here.

Like I said before... You don't own the device until the 2 years is up when you take the subsidy.  Verizon still owns the device until it's paid off.  Much like a bank on a car loan... Any modifications you make a bank can charge you to repair said changes you made if you ever defaulted and you lose your car too(while instead of taking your phone, Verizon charges you what you haven't paid as resell value lowers).

As I said before... If you bought your device outright I would agree with you, but once you take the subsidization then I don't. 

jroal
Contributor - Level 2

Must we really rehash the entire thread.  We simply do not agree.  Yes I read what you said and I don't agree with it.  Just as you may have read parts of what I said and apparently you don't agree with me either.

The apps I care about removing are mostly Verizon apps.  All those in the list above are from Verizon.  Also, I bought the device from Verizon and they are responsible for the whole device.  The device makers are just a supplier to Verizon.

jroal
Contributor - Level 2

We all have different definitions of bloat.  I actually like the Motoblur stuff so for me that is not bloat.  To others it is bloat.  We are just asking to be able to remove what we don't plan to use.  That is not too much to ask.  There is no value to anyone, Verizon, the device maker, or the app makers, to locking the apps.  All it does is anger people.  I know the Verizon folks on this thread will argue this to the bitter end and we will just never agree.  Bottom line is what the customers think and how they act.   

jroal
Contributor - Level 2

I just found this:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45527229/ns/technology_and_science-wireless/t/pre-loaded-android-apps-le...

Pre-loaded Android apps leave phones open to attack

Some contain serious glitch that attacker could exploit, researchers say

One more reason to let us uninstall them.

jroal
Contributor - Level 2

Looks like Sprint is working on a way to allow users to uninstall preloaded apps: http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-20066266-245.html

0 Likes
rsgile
Enthusiast - Level 2

So because Verizon subsidized the phone, they have control? Sorry, thats not how it should work. Thats like saying the bank that has the mortgage on a house, will FORCE a person to only use specific windows, or flooring, or a type of doorbell. Or a person that finances a car HAS to use a specific brand of gas, or only use a specific brand of tire or brakepad, because Honda says they have to.

The only thing that people want out of Verizon is "dumb pipes". If they think they have a superior app or service...build it, market it, and let it compete in the marketplace. They originally tried to block google maps on the first android phones (I owned the original Moto Droid), so their VZ navigator would still be viable. Trying to get it blocked failed, thankfully. They are doing it again with Google Wallet. Yes I know I can download the apk and use it, the point is I shouldnt have to, it should be on the phone already like its supposed to. If Isis is a better product, release it, and let the consumers decide. This is exactly why VZ is the subject of a few FTC complaints over the Google Wallet nonsense

Tidbits
Legend

like i said before... They are NEVER uninstalled. They just hide the icon... Gotta love marketing.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I guess you didn't read it either. IF you owned the device outright I would agree with you. Since you took the subsidization you don't own it until you honor the 2 year contract. The law agrees with this.

Again i agree if you paid outright but not when you take subsidization.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Tidbits is kind of like saying when you bought a Car.. but you got payments an that the junk you put on it is like free Pizza if you screw up an miss Payments. An the financial institution that has the writes over it gets your stuff!

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

rsgile wrote:

So because Verizon subsidized the phone, they have control? Sorry, thats not how it should work. Thats like saying the bank that has the mortgage on a house, will FORCE a person to only use specific windows, or flooring, or a type of doorbell. Or a person that finances a car HAS to use a specific brand of gas, or only use a specific brand of tire or brakepad, because Honda says they have to.

Go buy a car, and then put a ton of stuff on it, and then default on your payments.  You have control of the car, but it doesn't allow you to do as you please.  Banks if they choose to can charge you repair to put everything back into factory state if they wanted to after they take away your car.  I seen more than a few people who have done this, and ended up owing the bank $6k+ and they have no car to show for it.

You do not have root privileges for good reason, and the main reason why you can't remove that "bloat" as I have already explained multiple times in multiple threads.

The only thing that people want out of Verizon is "dumb pipes". If they think they have a superior app or service...build it, market it, and let it compete in the marketplace. They originally tried to block google maps on the first android phones (I owned the original Moto Droid), so their VZ navigator would still be viable. Trying to get it blocked failed, thankfully. They are doing it again with Google Wallet. Yes I know I can download the apk and use it, the point is I shouldnt have to, it should be on the phone already like its supposed to. If Isis is a better product, release it, and let the consumers decide. This is exactly why VZ is the subject of a few FTC complaints over the Google Wallet nonsense

Google went on record as well as Verizon that Verizon isn't to blame for wallet.  There are multiple reasons, and there is only 1 device OFFICIALLY that has wallet.  Nexus S 4G, and you have to use a bug to install wallet on other devices with NFC.  Verizon mentioned security concerns and a commercial agreement was one of the problems. People keep thinking it's because of Isis which is totally off base for multiple of reasons.  It has been mentioned before Sprint has an exclusive agreement with Google for Wallet.  Please stop believing in the FUD rumor sites tend to spread around, and often at times don't retract their statements as then they could lose more credibility and end up losing clicks which is their main source of money.

0 Likes