Verizon Messages App when I'm overseas
lkz8776
Enthusiast - Level 2

I travel out of the country a lot and that's one of the reasons I got a Galaxy S3.  When I go overseas I put in a foreign SIM card and the phone (usually) works.

But I am not able to get my USA Verizon text messages when I'm overseas. I don't care so much about replying, I just want to be able to read incoming messages.

Then I found Verizon Messages and I thought, Awesome that will solve my problem, I can get my USA Verizon text messages using the app.

But no, it doesn't seem to work like that.  When I was in Mexico a few days ago with my Mexico SIM inserted, my Mexico texts were going through Verizon Messages and I did not receive any messages that people sent to my Verizon phone number. 

Am I doing something wrong?  Can I set up Verizon Messages to only access my Verizon texts when I'm overseas?  I looked in Settings but didn't see anything.

Is there another way to read my incoming texts when I'm overseas while using a foreign SIM card? 

I guess one way would be to insert my Verizon SIM card once or twice a day and then get stuck paying roaming charges, but I would prefer not to have to do that.

Thank you for any help.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
Re: Verizon Messages App when I'm overseas
lkz8776
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried it again in Mexico last weekend.  I put in my Mexico SIM card and I do not receive my Verizon text messages.

So I don't really see the point of this phone app.  It does the same thing as the preinstalled text messaging app already on the phone.

I want to get my Verizon text messages when I'm outside of the USA but I don't know how...

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't think that's the way the application works on the phone. If you could access your text messages from a tablet or any other device you should be able to see them from there.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Ann is correct. When on a phone, the Verizon Messages app is associated with the phone # of the phone. If you put in a SIM from a foreign provider, your phone will have a different number than your Verizon number, which is why you don't get your texts associated with your Verizon phone number.

When on a computer, you log into Verizon Messages with your MyVerizon ID associated with the phone number of the line in question. You will get ONLY the messages from that line.

While I don't remember exactly how I am logged into Verizon Messages on my iPad, I think it is more along the lines as that of the computer, since my iPad does not have a phone number associated with it.

An idea to get your messages on your phone when traveling abroad(with a foreign SIM installed) would be to go to the Verizon Messages website in a browser on your phone and log in with your MyVerizon ID.

Good luck.

lkz8776
Enthusiast - Level 2

When I go to the Verizon web site on my phone, it defaults to the "mobile" version of the web site.  The "mobile" version of Verizon's website does not have Verizon Messages anywhere.  When I use Chrome browser or the stock browser there is an option to "Request desktop site" but when I do that I get kicked out and have to log back in which puts me in the mobile site again.  Appears to be impossible to access Verizon Messages from the website on my phone.

But yes, I can access my text messages if I have my laptop since its not tied to my phone number that way.

Still searching for a way to read my Verizon text messages from my phone when I'm out of the country...

0 Likes
totorissimo

Hi there.

Quick follow-up Did you ever figure it out? I have been trying everything possible, and have the same problem as you. Once I put another SIM in my phone, the capability disappears.

Can we force the smartphone to behave like a tablet?

Desperately looking for a solution.

0 Likes
Csmith1234

I have the same problem. Why would the app be tied to the SIM? It defeats the purpose of the app. I installed verizon messages on an iPhone with a different SIM and I was able to select what phone number to associate with the app. Why not do the same thing for android?

0 Likes