Re: Verizon LG G2 Issues after Kit Kat Update: Community "fixes" don't help!
stef7
Master - Level 2

gedafe,  Try this.

Settings ! Tethering and networks ! Mobile networks ! System select !  Network mode. Make sure device is set for LTE/CDMA.

Power down phone and back up.

0 Likes
gedafe
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Stef,

Thanks for the hint. However after a few minutes in cdma/let mode, the phone heats up just like in global mode.

I loved this G2 prior to the 4.2.2 update, but now it literally is a hot mess.

Thanks again!

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

OK, I suspect there is something attempting to move a lot of data over one of your radio connections.

Keep the setting on LTE/CDMA.

Now go into Airplane mode (disables WiFi and the Cellular radio). Does the battery still heat up?

If yes, there is something wrong with the Lithium battery in the phone, and you need a replacement phone (the battery is not replaceable by you or me).

If the battery does not heat up when you have Airplane mode enabled (both radios disabled), then you need to attempt to determine (with Airplane mode turned back off - and the WiFi and cellular radios enabled) what is consuming the battery and the radio bandwidth of the Cellular radio and/or the WiFi radio.

You should be able to see what is consuming Battery after powering up your device by going into Settings | Battery, then pressing on "xx% - Discharging" and then scroll down. Wait an hour or so before you do this.

For mobile and data, after poweing up and waiting for a bit, go to Settings | Mobile data. Now this is important. Press the Menu key (three horizontal lines). Click on "Show Wi-Fi usage". One tab will show data usage by app for the WiFi and the other for the Cellular radio. Scroll down to see the app moving the most data.

What is consuming the battery? What is consuming the cellular radio and the wifi connection? Maybe you can track down a rogue application and uninstall it, or find an errant setting.

Like I said - if the battery is heating up even if the radios are turned off, you have a hardware problem.

Good luck.

0 Likes
gedafe
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Stef,

Thanks for the additional troubleshooting tips. These are quite a bit more insightful than the Verizon help I've received so far.

OK, so in airplane mode, the phone is noticeably cooler, but still warm in the midline of the phone between camera and power port. Kept alternating airplane mode for several minutes and then normal mode for several minutes. The warmth got hotter in normal mode than airplane mode. At no time was the phone cool. When in normal mode in Jelly Bean, my phone only got lukewarm when streaming video, but never hot. In KitKat, it gets hot just being on, and hotter when doing light web surfing.

In the battery settings, the most drain (30%) is by the screen. However, screen is always set to 0% brightness and sleeps after 60 sec of inactivity. I can't make it any dimmer. Every other app is at 8% or less. Right now, I'm only typing this email, and every other app is closed, and the phone is warming up in my hand.

Keep the ideas coming, but it seems to me that this is looking like a battery or hardware issue... or could it be a virus?

Thanks again!

0 Likes
wannadroid

Maybe it's time to leave Verizon.  They may have the best network, but a network doesn't do you any good if your device won't work.  And if they can't give good customer service to come to resolution....

I'm actually just now starting to report the issue and hoping customer service will help.  Though I've been experiencing it since my phone updated quite a while back, I've been able to work around it.  But now my wife is experiencing it on her phone as well, and I can tell you, I will not spend months trying to get this resolved, especially since my wife will not be able to work around it as easily, and she doesn't need frustration from a phone.

Verizon, is there a fix to the LG G2 kit kat issue anywhere on the near horizon?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Both of you are under a misconception in your update issues reside with LG and not Verizon.

Google and LG messed up your devices, not Verizon wireless.

They provide access to the cellular and data network. That is it period.

Both of you call LG.

My wife has the LG G2 and fully updated and has absolutely no issues what so ever. It is either a faulty device update or faulty device you both have.

Verizon will send out a refurbished device if you call them under the one year manufacturer warranty. 1-800-922-0204 or *611 from your devices.

You cannot blame Verizon wireless for operating system upgrades.

Call LG

http://www.lgusa.com

Good Luck

Camonte102

Since I am now traveling in Mexico and the overheating problem started after I installed a Verizon Software to read my messages and since in Mexico I block the data, because high costs, it try to convert the messages to reading letters, and try so hard that drain my battery and overheats what I need is how to stop that software and be happy again.

Please help

0 Likes
Not applicable

If you installed the app. Go into the apps on your LG and long press and drag to the top of your screen into the trash can. It will be gone.

Good Luck

gedafe
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Elector,

Your perspective is rather interesting considering it's from someone who should be here on the blogs to "help."  From what you wrote, your answer seems to be, "my wife's phone is fine, so contact LG."  Please check the blogs on Verizon, Amazon, Digital Trends, Reddit, Sprint, xda-developers, and a host of others for the hundreds of people suffering from the same LG G2 issues before stating your "fix."  Your wife's phone is not statistically significant as far as comparing her's to everyone else's and then saying it's ok.  There is a problem and it was most likely caused after the 4.4.2 upgrade.

As far as your solution of going back to LG, here's the issue.  Verizon sells LG phones.  Therefore, Verizon is the responsible party to deal with the customer on phone issues.  Additionally, they have sub-contracted to Asurion for their replacement support.  Likely, that means you need to go through Asurion if you ended up purchasing their support.  If not, the general 1-year warranty is through Verizon, who ends up working through Asurion anyway.  LG will do NOTHING for phone support, other than take a report and tell you to go back to Verizon (I called them just to prove that was the case).  Verizon works with LG afterwards to get their compensation from the returned phones.

So you're somewhat right: no, we can't blame Verizon for OS upgrades.  However, we can blame them (or Asurion) for not getting us new/refurbished phones when the ones they sell us don't work the way they're supposed to.  Instead, they work you through their customer service system, and you 1) get disconnected, 2) get told there is no problem, 3) get told to do all the "fixes" you've already tried, or 4) get told that you need to bring it into a store for help.  The Verizon replacement service should be similar to any store (Walmart, Amazon, Supermarket, etc) selling brands of consumables to you.  Guess what?  When those things break, you take them back to the store, and the store gets you a new one--they work the replacement issues with the brand company.  So too, Verizon owes it's customers that same service... unless their contract with LG states specifically that LG will do customer service and replacement support--which it DOES NOT.

@Wannadroid and @Stef, let me give you some more helpful advice.  The Verizon representatives on this post did nothing for my case--their recommendations are not in any database that the Verizon store workers can access.  I knew my phone was operating incorrectly, and I assumed the heating issue was a safety issue before any of the Verizon reps replied.  I developed this blog in vain attempts that someone could actually provide effective help.  Hopefully, the following will do it for you.

Here's how my return/replacement worked:  I took the phone into the Verizon store, had them run their tests, and the battery was discharging at a rate greater than 5% per hour in safe mode (I had about 4 hours of battery life from a full charge)--not supposed to happen (should be 1-3% discharge per hour in normal mode).  Likewise, it was hot to the touch without the case on.  They ran the soft restart method, the hard reset method, the full restore method, and each time checked a variety of things including how hot the phone got and how much battery usage was discharging. 

The store wanted to give me a replacement at that point, but needed to contact their next level tech support due to Verizon protocol.  The new tech support had the store run the same tests again, and the phone failed the battery tests... again.  At that point, the store rep was getting pretty impatient with Tech Support, seeing as the phone was definitely operating incorrectly.

The Tech Support put in the request for a replacement, and then realized I already had Asurion, so they had Asurion reps finish out the replacement--something I learned I could have done on my own.  The difference for you is that if you don't have Asurion, Verizon will replace it through them for you anyway.  Because I had it, Tech Support ditched me to Asurion's replacement reps, and the next day a had a "new" refurb LG G2.  This one was obviously used, but it worked better than my old one.

My recommendation is DO NOT go to LG--they will do nothing but redirect you to Verizon.  Instead, take it to a Verizon store, have the customer rep test your phone (mine took about 1 hour from start to finish getting a new one ordered), and see what happens.  Hopefully, all Verizon store reps were as good as the one I got, but if not, just take it to someone else.

0 Likes
Not applicable

(removed) First a device comes with a one year manufacturers warranty of which Verizon as a courtesy will handle the exchange. That is basic warranty

If you pay for supplemental insurance it is through Asurian http://www.phoneclaim.com/Verizon

So you are wrong on point two.

Third, Verizon's tech support is through their own in house support. Either via phone 1-800-922-0204 or at one of their corporate stores not a reseller. The phone could have been exchange under warranty simply via calling.

Fourth, Verizon as a retailer like Best Buy, Walmart, Costco, Target, Radio Shack or any retailer is not responsible for a bad or faulty operating system update. Via your own words above if it was purchased at Walmart then you would take it to Walmart for service and support and that is totally incorrect. After 15 days the retailers tell you that you must deal with the maker of the device, not them. (removed).

Fifth, my wife owns the same phone and it is fully updated and has no issues however by your own words above the problems are at numerous websites and cellular carriers. (removed)

In conclusion the simple process of getting warranty service was just a simple phone call to Verizon who is under no obligation to handle warranty returns but does so as a service to their customers.

Verizon sells you connectivity to the cellular and data network. That is it. Your obligation is to have a working device to do so.

Please research your answers before you post such inaccurate information. Verizon wireless does nothing for Asurian other than bill the customer. And they will give you a phone number to start your claim process.

They do not parcel out to them for tech support

Also ask yourself if LG and other phone makers make millions of these devices yet only a small percentage have the issue does that tell you something? It should.

Good Luck

Edited as required by the

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes