Verizon LG G2 Issues after Kit Kat Update: Community "fixes" don't help!
gedafe
Enthusiast - Level 2

Many of us got the LG G2 because of it's awesome battery life, camera, and features when it first came out.  Verizon started it's Kit Kat 4.2.2 rollout over the last several months, and the LG G2 is becoming quite the headache.

I never had an issue with the LG G2 until after the 4.2.2 update.  Since then, I've had several issues with the phone: battery life drain, overheating, taps on screen don't register with where I put my finger, etc.  It seems like a lot of users have them too.

After reading various blogs about the issues, I've tried several fix actions:

- Hard reset (x2): (Apps>Settings>Backup&Reset>Factory Data Reset>Reset Phone>Erase everything)  Make sure to back up the data first!

- Brightness adjustment: Set auto and down to 10% (Apps>Settings>Display>Brightness)

- GPS Location: Set to battery saver (Apps>Settings>Location>Mode>Battery Saving), but it resets to high accuracy every time you leave settings.

- Google Voice: Set "ok Google" to off (Apps>Google Settings>Voice>"Ok google" hotword detection)

However, my phone continues to overheat (around the back of the phone right under the rear camera and volume buttons), which seems to cause the battery life drain as well as the weirdness of the phantom button pushes.  When the phone is cool, none of this happens.  One would think if a hard reset really fixes this issue, then doing it twice would have solved the problem.  I can't go back to pre-4.2.2 OS, because the phone after the hard reset asks to update to 4.2.2.  What is going on Verizon?  I haven't gotten my LG G2 replaced yet, but apparently replacing the phone doesn't help the issue according to many on the support blogs.

Any help?

V/R

Gerald

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon LG G2 Issues after Kit Kat Update: Community "fixes" don't help!
gedafe
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Elector,

Your perspective is rather interesting considering it's from someone who should be here on the blogs to "help."  From what you wrote, your answer seems to be, "my wife's phone is fine, so contact LG."  Please check the blogs on Verizon, Amazon, Digital Trends, Reddit, Sprint, xda-developers, and a host of others for the hundreds of people suffering from the same LG G2 issues before stating your "fix."  Your wife's phone is not statistically significant as far as comparing her's to everyone else's and then saying it's ok.  There is a problem and it was most likely caused after the 4.4.2 upgrade.

As far as your solution of going back to LG, here's the issue.  Verizon sells LG phones.  Therefore, Verizon is the responsible party to deal with the customer on phone issues.  Additionally, they have sub-contracted to Asurion for their replacement support.  Likely, that means you need to go through Asurion if you ended up purchasing their support.  If not, the general 1-year warranty is through Verizon, who ends up working through Asurion anyway.  LG will do NOTHING for phone support, other than take a report and tell you to go back to Verizon (I called them just to prove that was the case).  Verizon works with LG afterwards to get their compensation from the returned phones.

So you're somewhat right: no, we can't blame Verizon for OS upgrades.  However, we can blame them (or Asurion) for not getting us new/refurbished phones when the ones they sell us don't work the way they're supposed to.  Instead, they work you through their customer service system, and you 1) get disconnected, 2) get told there is no problem, 3) get told to do all the "fixes" you've already tried, or 4) get told that you need to bring it into a store for help.  The Verizon replacement service should be similar to any store (Walmart, Amazon, Supermarket, etc) selling brands of consumables to you.  Guess what?  When those things break, you take them back to the store, and the store gets you a new one--they work the replacement issues with the brand company.  So too, Verizon owes it's customers that same service... unless their contract with LG states specifically that LG will do customer service and replacement support--which it DOES NOT.

@Wannadroid and @Stef, let me give you some more helpful advice.  The Verizon representatives on this post did nothing for my case--their recommendations are not in any database that the Verizon store workers can access.  I knew my phone was operating incorrectly, and I assumed the heating issue was a safety issue before any of the Verizon reps replied.  I developed this blog in vain attempts that someone could actually provide effective help.  Hopefully, the following will do it for you.

Here's how my return/replacement worked:  I took the phone into the Verizon store, had them run their tests, and the battery was discharging at a rate greater than 5% per hour in safe mode (I had about 4 hours of battery life from a full charge)--not supposed to happen (should be 1-3% discharge per hour in normal mode).  Likewise, it was hot to the touch without the case on.  They ran the soft restart method, the hard reset method, the full restore method, and each time checked a variety of things including how hot the phone got and how much battery usage was discharging. 

The store wanted to give me a replacement at that point, but needed to contact their next level tech support due to Verizon protocol.  The new tech support had the store run the same tests again, and the phone failed the battery tests... again.  At that point, the store rep was getting pretty impatient with Tech Support, seeing as the phone was definitely operating incorrectly.

The Tech Support put in the request for a replacement, and then realized I already had Asurion, so they had Asurion reps finish out the replacement--something I learned I could have done on my own.  The difference for you is that if you don't have Asurion, Verizon will replace it through them for you anyway.  Because I had it, Tech Support ditched me to Asurion's replacement reps, and the next day a had a "new" refurb LG G2.  This one was obviously used, but it worked better than my old one.

My recommendation is DO NOT go to LG--they will do nothing but redirect you to Verizon.  Instead, take it to a Verizon store, have the customer rep test your phone (mine took about 1 hour from start to finish getting a new one ordered), and see what happens.  Hopefully, all Verizon store reps were as good as the one I got, but if not, just take it to someone else.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Gerald,

I want to see you with a high functioning device. Many of my co-workers currently have the device and love it. I definitely want yourself and other users to have this positive experience. When completing the factory reset are apps being auto loaded after the update? Have you tested the device over a 24 hour period in Safe Mode? http://vz.to/QyxNQD

YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
gedafe
Enthusiast - Level 2

YosefT_VZW,

Yeah, I had the LG G2 prior to the 4.2.2 update and it worked great!  However, since the upgrade, it's just a hot (literally) mess.

To answer your questions, yes, the apps from google play are auto loaded.  But the apps from amazon store need manual loading.

And no, I cannot access safe mode.  "Reboot to safe mode screen" is not an option after power down.  Also, holding down power and volume down, letting up on power, and then letting up on volume down also does not work to put the phone in safe mode.

V/R

Gerald

0 Likes
B33
Legend

You Might try performing a Factory Reset it may or may not help but it worth a try..

0 Likes
gedafe
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks B33! I guess I used the wrong wording.  My two hard resets were factory resets.  They were time consuming as all get out, but did nothing to fix the problems.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks so much for the information, Gerald. The reason that I inquire about auto loading previous apps after the factory reset is that if a particular app or apps is not agreeing with the new OS it will be difficult to test in the factory reset helped with this process. I've found some instructions that may better explain how to place the device as I can see how the preferred method may not have been clear.

1. Long press on the Power key.
2. Long press on Power off option. Remember to long press on it, don’t just press, as it will just turn off the phone.
3. You should see the Reboot to safe mode screen.
4. Hit OK.
5. You should see G2 restarts.
6. Once you’ve done, the Safe mode appears in the lower-left corner.
Now feel free to uninstall any third-party apps that gave you problems. Later if you want to end the Safe mode, simply restart the device.

YosefT_VZW

0 Likes
keelah56

I'm having similar problems. I absolutely adored this phone but the past few weeks it has just become a nightmare. Knock off works but knock on does not. When I can use the screen it makes erratic motions, clicking randomly all over the screen and swiping left and right. I've done 3 factory resets and tried safe mode but nothing helps. I went to the Verizon store and they told me if I got a warranty replacement and the problem was due to the update and not a mechanical problem then I would be charged full price for the phone which is completely unfair. The phone is pretty much unusable in the state it's in yet here I am still paying for it every month. I am just so frustrated right now because I really loved this phone and the garbage update ruined it.

0 Likes
gedafe
Enthusiast - Level 2

Keelah,

Completely agree.  Verizon's actions seem to indicate they have no interest in customer service.  What you'll see is that they deny there are any problems, then they'll give you repair options that you've already accomplished and don't work, and then they'll say it's not their responsibility because of x, y, or z.  Ultimately, you'll pay one way or another: you keep the broken phone or buy a new one at your expense.

I really can't understand why after all these complaints they don't do the right thing and fix the issue.  Whatever happened, it was caused after the KitKat update.

Irritated and confused...

gedafe
Enthusiast - Level 2

YosefT,

Safe mode doesn't do anything to solve the overheating or shorter battery life.  All it did was disable most of my apps.

Also, I've factory reset this phone 3 times and still have overheating and short battery life.  The area around the rear camera heats up first followed by the midline of the phone down to the charging port.

From my perspective, this is a phone and/or KitKat problem, not an app problem.

Very Respectfully,

Gerald

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello gedafe,

An overheating phone can pose a safety issue, and I am concerned that your phone is continuing to heat up even in Safe Mode. I would suggest bringing the device, and any charging equipment you use into a Verizon store for testing, so we can identify the issue, and resolve it immediately. You can find the closest corporate store at this link: http://vz.to/1l7u4mz

Thank you,
MichelleH_VZW

0 Likes