Verizon Edge Program
fxrs

I noticed one of the requirements to use the Edge Program for an upgrade is that I have to send in my current Phone. My question is why? I purchased my current phone so I own it. Why should you benefit from taking my phone? Doesn't seem fair.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon Edge Program
rcschnoor
Legend

fxrs wrote:

I noticed one of the requirements to use the Edge Program for an upgrade is that I have to send in my current Phone. My question is why? I purchased my current phone so I own it. Why should you benefit from taking my phone? Doesn't seem fair.

You may have purchased your phone, but did you purchase it at full retail or did you purchase it at a discounted rate in exchange for signing a contract. If the latter and you have not yet fulfilled your contract, THAT is why you have to return your phone. Verizon is erasing the remaining time left on your contract in exchange for returning your phone and entering into an Edge agreement. If you wait until you have completed your contract, you would not have to return your current phone.Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Arzate

I believe, which I'm not sure if your bought your phone outright or not, that you have to return it due to getting it at a discounted price when you started your contract. Most phones retail for $600-$750 but you get it discounted at $199 (most phones) for a 2 year contract. If you don't complete your contract and upgrade early Verizon sees it as you haven't completed your contract that provided the discount for $199, so you owe them the phone back. Sucks because you could be 2 months out from an upgrade and still have to return it.

0 Likes
Arzate

My mistake, you stated that you DO own it. In that case they shouldn't require your current device since you didn't get it from them at a discounted price.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

fxrs wrote:

You may have purchased your phone, but did you purchase it at full retail or did you purchase it at a discounted rate in exchange for signing a contract. If the latter and you have not yet fulfilled your contract, THAT is why you have to return your phone. Verizon is erasing the remaining time left on your contract in exchange for returning your phone and entering into an Edge agreement. If you wait until you have completed your contract, you would not have to return your current phone.Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Not applicable

Three situations situations

Verizon had or maybe still has a program where people with less than 1 year on their contract have to trade in their phones if they want to be on Edge. Your trade in is basically paying your ETF. If you're off contract and want to use Edge for the first time you do NOT have to trade in your old phone.

If you get on Edge and you want to upgrade before paying all 20 payments yes you have trade in the phone because you have NOT paid it off completely.

If you made all your payments or have fully paid for the phone it's yours and you do to ave to trade it in.

0 Likes