Verizon Branded Nexus 6 Signal Issues
TechWaze

I live in a 4G LTE coverage area, my signal at home is horrible. Outside its not too bad, but in my house, calls and texts are hit and miss. I have changed several settings under 'Cellular Network' and nothing seems to improve the coverage. Is there a known issue and or could my device have a bad antenna?

The map below, (zip 44095) between these 2 points is 0.61 miles. There is 1 known tower and several antenna's around my location, I just don't understand why my signal is so horrible at home. Any idea's or suggestions would be appreciated. I have also performed a factory reset which did not solve the issue.Coverage.png

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon Branded Nexus 6 Signal Issues
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We strive to provide nothing short of top notch service, Techwaze. Has this been occurring since you first received the device? Did you have issues with prior devices? Any other devices in the home have an issue?
YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
TechWaze

I received the device on 10/7/2015 - Upon startup, it ran the update to Android 5.1.1 and then a smaller security patch update. I first noticed the issues with calls / texts on the 11th of October. I then did a site survey around my town to find the best signal to determine if the device has a bad antenna. Since I'm picking up great signals around various locations, I don't believe this is a device issue, but not 100% sure.

We do have 2 AT&T devices (Galaxy S5 and an iPhone 6) which both hit around -90 dBm inside our house, all floors. We also have 1 device on MetroPCS that has about -96 dBm inside our house, all floors.

With the Nexus 6, indoors at my home, I range anywhere from -105 dBm to -118 dBm, at which point the signal just drops, which it does very frequently.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for providing the details TechwWaze. This helps us. Have you hada chance to see if any Verizon wireless users are having the same issues? We want to make sure that you can stay connected. You calso mentioned another location. How far apart are these locations?
BobbyN_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
TechWaze

Willowick, Ohio 44095. Area's in YELLOW have fantastic signal strength. My house is circled in BLUE. Bad coverage there. Most if not all of my friends are on AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, MetroPCS. The locations in YELLOW are all within a 1 to 2 mile range of each other.

Willowick.PNG

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since you have the LTE Discovery application installed, here's something to consider with your coverage.

Band 4 is the XLTE Spectrum on 1700Mhz Verizon uses for density.

Band 2 is the PCS Spectrum at 1900Mhz, previously used for 3G access. This is a NEW addition to Verizon's LTE network for more capacity. It's not fully tuned yet so results may be unexpected.

Band 13 is the legacy, initial LTE network which provides Verizon with their LTE Coverage.

The phones will prefer the bands in this order, from least preferred to most preferred: Band 13 > Band 4 > Band 2. The tower or phone may occasionally steer between Band 2 and Band 4 depending on load. This order makes sense as from Band 13 to 2, you go up the frequency scale, which means better speeds and better density.

As Band 2 is new to many areas, you may start to see this appear more and more. Not all towers have Band 2 enabled, so if your phone prefers Band 2 by default, it may be steered towards using a further away tower rather than use a closer tower with Band 4. Since Band 2 is also new, the signal/noise rules for channel distribution may not be fully tuned. Also consider that your effective signal / coverage, should be also determined by looking at your 1xRTT reception. This operates at 850Mhz and will reflect the signal strength of 700Mhz LTE.

0 Likes
TechWaze

At home it seems to lock in to Band 2, while driving around it goes from Band 13 to 4 in most places I hit. Is there a way to set the default band, either 13 or 4 and bypass 2 all together?

LTE Discovery app is showing 1xRTT as N/A so not sure what's up with that. Thanks for replying.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's possible your phone isn't using the CDMA portion of the phone while being on LTE. Most likely true if you're using Advanced Calling, or if your phone lacks dual radios (most new phones do). Could be something else though.

To enable/disable bands on a phone, you would need to enter the engineering mode menus. This is usually done through a code entered into the phone dialer, or using an MSL Code (obtained from Verizon) against the phone to access the band settings. Once there, you should be able to actually adjust band priority, and also turn on/off certain bands.

Just note that messing around in these settings can render the phone unusable. XDA Developers (a place I probably can't link to here) is a good resource for much of this, along with Howard Forums. If you make a change, be sure to test your voice, data, and SMS Services throughly, and undo any changes made if they have a negative effect. Otherwise you'll be factory resetting the Nexus.

The presence of Band 2 at your home means a tower is close by - performance should improve on this band in the coming months as Verizon transitions this spectrum from using 5Mhz channels, to something larger such as 20Mhz and tunes it a bit more. On a 5Mhz channel (LTE Discovery will help determine this), the max possible LTE Speed is around 35Mbps down, 6Mbps up. On 20Mhz, think around 150Mbps down, 20-40Mbps up, and more with some tower improvements (4T4R) Verizon is working on.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

The area look good over here Techwaze. What specific issues are you having? Is it voice and data? How far do you have to go in order for it to get better? Did you check to see if you have Advance Calling on?
AmberF_VZW

0 Likes
TechWaze

Calls and texts are the issues. Incoming / Outgoing calls sometimes do not complete or drop; texts take forever to send. Advance calling? I'm not sure what setting that is; if you mean Enhanced 4G LTE Mode under Cellular Networks, yes that function is enabled.

0 Likes