Venting about Stratosphere!
ziggystyles

Hi all,

First time on here.  At this point in time, Im getting very frustrated with Verizon and the phones they provide, along with their tech support service. 

Last fall I decided to upgrade as the upgrade time rolled around.  I tried to upgrade, but my date changed to another two years down the road.  Someone hacked my account and got two new Iphones!  I called and had to file some sort of issue to get it resolved.  Verizon apparently doesn't try to track down these people who break the law...which I have a problem with.  A week or so later, I was cleared and got a stratosphere. 

With this new phone, I started having issues with call quality....calls were very staticy, but before I could call and complain about it...i dropped the phone in water, killing it (for the .5 of a second it was in there). I called Verizon and had to fork 400 bucks over to get another stratosphere. 

Phone number 2...right away, I had the same issues with call quality.  After a while, i called to complain to verizon about the quality and how suddenly in the middle of a call, people couldn't hear me, while I could still hear them.  A simple redial fixed the problem but this was a pain to me and the people I called.  Verizon wanted me to track the issue myself by hanging up when it happened and dialing ### to mark it on my call history for them to look into the issue.  I told them how I only recieve one call a week from my father and I rarely make phone calls myself and this doesnt happen all the time.  They wanted me to mark the issue about 8 times....this was going to take forever for the issue to get resolved. 

About a month ago...i started having issues with charging the phone...when I plugged the phone in...I had to push the cable a certain direction to make a connection and get it to charge.  It got to the point where I had to put something ontop of , or under the cord to get it to make the connection to charge.  A phone call to verizon, transferred me to their insurance provider who wanted to charge me 99 dollars to get a replacement phone.  I called verizon customer support to confirm this because I felt it was a phone warranty issue, and it was.  Another call to tech support and they sent out a replacement refurbished phone (which I don't particularly like because I paid the full retail for a new phone and when it doesnt work...I get a refurb?!).

So now after just having the new , third stratosphere for one day...Im already having the same exact same issues with call quality.  I have 4 bars of reception and I sit next to the window when Im on the phone and it sounds so staticy to me and my dad (who is on a landline).  Plus ontop of that...the mini SD card crapped out in switching to the new phone! 

I've had an LG chocolate (got replaced for some reason I cant remember), an original razor, another flip phone....from what I can remember..and I never had nearly the issues Im having with this phone and its very frustrating. 

I guess my beef with Verizon is not really the phone as it is a Samsung product...but that between the two of them...they can't seem to put out phones that arent a total POS.  Plus along with that...they don't seem to address constant customer issues about call quality, reception, or dropped sides of phone calls (one person can hear, the other can't) 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Venting about Stratosphere!
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi ziggystyles,

I'm sorry to learn of the Audio issues outlined on your post. I can only imagine how frustrating it can be for you and your father.
Audio issues like this are usually resolved with a software update developed by the manufacturer. In the mean time doing a factory reset http://goo.gl/grbVU may resolve the audio issue as it will resolve any corrupted system files. Please try and keep us posted.

AntonioC_VZWSupport
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
Eltigro
Enthusiast - Level 3

Unfortunately these are issues that I have been dealing with since I purchased 3 Stratospheres last December. The call quality on all 3 is intermittently bad (terrible). On my phone my mic has cut out on many calls since I've had it and even on a brand new one when I replaced it. Also my SD card was bad causing me to lose several pics in the beginning until I replaced the card, at my expense. The other 2 phones I bought were for my Wife and Son and theirs experience the mic cutting out as well however since they use the phone feature less than me it's not noticed as much as on my phone. I have written several posts in the past and have no successful corrective suggestions given. I have just learned to live with it but will never buy a Samsung again and will probably not renew with Verizon when my contract is up.

I wish you well at finding resolutions to your issues but I wouldn't hold your breath!!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello everyone!

Thank you so much for the posts. Your feedback is important for our process! I have good news! There will a software release coming out shortly to correct these issues. Thank you so much for your patience!

Katie H
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Paulinator

Any ETA on the push to our phones? My strat locked up when I received the update on 8/28, and had to get a certified replacement. I have another new strat on my account, and neither phone has received an OTA update yet.

Thanks.

0 Likes
JoshuaD14830

and Katie H what is the time table on this fix...ever since the mandatory update I have had speaker problems...now to the point the only way I can use my phone to make a basic phone call is by using the Bluetooth function.  How am I suppose to continue to have 5 phones on this account, when the phone I currently have is not working properly.  DO you need help in your support department, because I am rather efficient in answering people with a timely response and keeping posted to when they can be expecting some sort of response.

0 Likes
JoshuaD14830

and now I have done the hard factory reset/with system reboot and it still has NOT fixed the mic problem...Kernel version is 2.6.35.7-FF1...just want to be able to use my phone...like a phone

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Paulinator! The rollout of the latest update to the Statosphere continues as we speak. If you have not yet gotten yours, worry not. It's coming! We estimate completion of this rollout by 09/22/2012.

Dion M.
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
ScotGardner

I am on my second Stratosphere, and it was a refurb as well.  The phone was replaced because it would randomly shut down on me; whether resting, charging, calling, or texting, it would simply die.  Deciding that the odds of receiving two phones with identical problems, I did some nosing around, and found a very slight gap between the battery and case (a hair's width), and was curious to see if snugging the battery would work. I inserted a piece of regular copy paper along the base edge of the battery, and have had no shutdown issues since. (Am on second day now; still an improvement!)

0 Likes
carolea

I hate this phone for the above mentioned reasons & more! Like everyone says why should we get refurbs  if we paid full price and are under warrenty?....This phone sucks but I will try what you said ....Thanks!

0 Likes