VZW Phones DO NOT Work With Android Auto
Gooch4130

My Moto X 2nd generation running Android 5.0 does NOT work with Android Auto on my brand new Pioneer 8100NEX.  EVERY OTHER CARRIER's phones work except Verizon.  I have also confirmed it to be non-working on a Samsung Galaxy S5 running Android 5.x and it IS working on a Sprint Samsung Galaxy S6 edge.  I would hate to see customers ditch Verizon for other carriers who don't break their modded Android images like Verizon.

Hardware/Software:

Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX on the latest 1.03 FW

Moto X 2nd Gen (XT1096) running Android 5.0/Kernel 3.4.42-ga88ac50/System Version 22.21.11

Android Auto version 1.1.075280

Google Play Services version 7.5.71 (1955121-438)

Issue:

When you connect a phone running Android 5.x or higher to a stereo/head unit that is enabled for Android Auto, the application should auto-launch on the phone, black out the phone screen and run on the head unit.  For my phone it simply does nothing when I connect into the head unit.  This 100% points to a compatibility issue with this phone running the verizon image.

To verify the above theory, I borrowed a friend's Samsung Galaxy S6 from Sprint running Android 5.0.2, connected it using the same cables and it worked flawlessly.  Android Auto started up as expected, walked me through a number of security prompts and just worked as it should.  To further test this issue, I borrowed a friend's Samsung Galaxy S5 running Android 5.0 flat on Verizon as well and it did NOT work.  Exact same behavior as my phone.  Again, pointing to an issue with Android Auto on a Verizon device running Android 5.0.

I would like google to work with Verizon to not only test the above but to fix the issue.  The Moto X AND Samsung Galaxy S5 are BOTH confirmed to work with Android Auto for every other carrier except Verizon.

My phone is brand new, less than 2 months old.  It is NOT rooted and has a minimal installation of applications.  I have already factory reset the phone, uninstalled Android Auto and reinstalled and still it does not work.  I am more than happy to perform any testing needed beyond what I have already done, but will need this escalated to someone extremely technical preferable L3 support or development.  Please don't hesitate to reach out to me.

Hope this reaches VZWs twitter account since they have no email.

@VZWSupport

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: VZW Phones DO NOT Work With Android Auto
Tidbits
Legend

That's up to Google to fix the problem.  It's a 3rd party App and not one preinstalled.  Also Google says it works on the Galaxy series devices and not for T-Mobile(maybe it worked for T-Mobile only at first.  I haven't tested S devices).  So this is something Google and Samsung need to deal with. Just a little of tidbit of information(no pun intended) My 2014 Moto X(pure edition) Android Auto doesn't work for me, but it works for my coworkers Pure Edition.  I have 0 apps installed( I am currently using other devices)

Android Auto – Android Apps on Google Play

What's New

With Android Auto you get:

• Navigation with Google Maps - Free turn-by-turn navigation with lane guidance, live traffic conditions, points of interest, and more

• Hands-free phone and messaging - Make calls and send messages without taking your hands off the wheel

• Info and assistance - Get weather, traffic, commute information and more organized into simple cards

• Samsung Galaxy S4 and S5 on AT&T, Sprint and Verizon now compatible.

0 Likes
Gooch4130

Is your friend's moto x pure on verizon?  I have a moto x myself and have talked to both google and motorola and neither company wants to take ownership.  I would think if it were a google issue then other moto x phones with different carriers would not work.  If you read reviews of Android Auto, which is a google built app (I do not consider that 3rd party), there are plenty of Moto X users who have it working...just none on Verizon.  This to me is a Verizon issue all day with their stock FW.  What is your Moto pure running?  AFAIK it still comes preinstalled with the VZW image.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

We both are pure edition 5.0.  It will not work on Verizon as they are unlocked and unbranded.  Google says it does work on Verizon within their own app description which to mean screams ownership.  If they say it does work that means they testing it and it should work.  It's a 3rd party app, and probably hit or miss with devices and not necessarily Verizon specific problem.  Don't pay attention to reviews often you find reviews filled with Google fanboyism willing to protect Googles image as they could never do evil and there are evidence points to they do do evil at times.

It is NOT a built in app.  YOU HAVE TO INSTALL IT.  It is 3rd party app regardless if it is form Google or not.  Built in means no installing.

0 Likes
Gooch4130

Gotcha...and thank you for at least replying.  I have an email out to google app support, we'll see what that yields.  Google only claims that the app works on Lollipop (ie 5.x and greater).  I still contend that if Verizon's version of 5.x does not run android auto that Verizon does something to their stock image that causes it to break.  I'm surprised that it is not working for you on PE 5.0 and yet it works on a friend's phone - makes no sense.  It'd still be nice for Verizon to chime in and acknowledge the issue and work with google on behalf of a paying customer (myself), but I realize that they do not have the manpower to look into every issue with a '3rd party app'; although I imagine Android Auto will be built-in at some point given the number of cars that will support Android Auto in the upcoming year.  Is there a way to get an OTA of 5.1 as I know they are in beta already for this phone with a limited release?  I'd be more than happy to try an update to see if that addresses the issue.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

It does make sense why it works for him and it doesn't for mine.  It's simply a bug within the code that affects some and doesn't for others.  You'll find it all the time even on these forums and everyone always blame the carrier for it when it's in the code.  Like when someone installs an update and they complain about poor battery life, or this or that app keeps crashing while other users don't experience what they are experiencing. Smiley Happy

I probably could fix it myself by reflashing the stock factory image to see if there is any corrupted cache or files, but I am currently busy with the S6, M9, and G4 to spend any time on it.  My coworker uses his X as his daily driver on AT&T and I had mine on T-Mobile.

0 Likes