Using Wifi vs the Network for Downloading Apps/E-mail Attachments ect...
MR_Mustang1973

Hi,

Do downloads over WIFI (as in my home wireless internet signal) draw off the Verizon monthly data package allowance?  I.e, is it better to use a wireless internet signal for downloads as opposed to over the Verizon network?

If using the WIFI, do you turn off the mobile data to ensure the downloads are not being pulled down over the Verizon network?

I upgraded my phone to the G3 from a G1 and lost my unlimited data plan.  I'm looking to save bytes where ever I can.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Using Wifi vs the Network for Downloading Apps/E-mail Attachments ect...
Carrucan
Contributor - Level 1

If you are connected to a wifi network, downloads, web access, etc., will be over the wifi network.  No need to shut off data.  You are still going to use a handful of bytes while connected to the wifi network, as some apps and services won't operate properly via wifi, but the bulk of your data usage will flow through the wifi network.

I'll edit to say that wifi access does not count toward your data limit.

0 Likes
MR_Mustang1973

So as long as the WIFI is on and Im connected to a signal, the data pulls well default to the WIFI signal vs coming over the Verizon network?

0 Likes
Carrucan
Contributor - Level 1

Yes.  There are certain apps and services you may have that will always use data, but those are pretty limited.  Any sort of streaming, browsing, downloads, media playing, etc., will be done over your wifi network rather than the VZW network.

0 Likes
MR_Mustang1973

Ok kewl thanks

0 Likes