Upgrading from a Galaxy S3...
goombatommy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey everyone! I hope this is the right place to ask this; actually my first time ever posting on here. If I posted this in the wrong forum I apologize before hand.

I currently own a Galaxy S3. I'm due for an upgrade on 8/2 (although upgrading in store allows 7 days prior, so this Saturday 7/26) and I've got three upgrade contenders to decide upon: LG G3, HTC One M8 or the Galaxy S5. I'm not asking anyone to decide for me, but instead are there are other people either in the same boat as I am, or WAS and recently have upgraded to one of the three. All three have pros/cons and likes/dislikes and for the first time - really having a tough time deciding which phone I want to upgrade too.

Does anyone have any impressions of the three phones mentioned? Anyone else in the same boat or WAS in the same boat as I am? Thank you!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Upgrading from a Galaxy S3...
deltabond
Enthusiast - Level 3

There are forums here, reviews on those specific devices, and also androidcentral forums on the net.  Just take a look at those and look at what problems people are having so you know what to expect... and when you get a new phone, push back the updates until the Kitkat issue is resolved, and you probably won't go wrong Smiley Happy

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

While you may get responses from folks who have those three phones, YOU are the one who will have to live with your choice - and no one knows but you what will work best for YOU.

If you have a Verizon store with working models, go in and actually handle each of the devices - send yourself a text message, browse to a couple of websites, look through the contact list, initiate a call, add a calendar event ... in other words, use the device as you would if it were yours. 

When I am curious about a newly released model, or just want to see how a specific device feels, I go to my local store (corporate, the phones on display actually work and I can play with them), and ask questions, or say I'm just browsing if I don't feel like being given a sales pitch.

Another thing I do is run the comparison of models I'm interested in, and write down what MY priorities are (camera?  onboard memory?  SD slot? etc) so I can look at specs and know what each model has or doesn't have.  That way when I finally do buy a phone, I'm not surprised to find it does or doesn't have a feature I need.

In other words, I do my homework.  With an expensive device, that I will use daily for both business and personal stuff, I  want to know what I am buying!

Klue
Master - Level 1

For what is worth the Galaxy S5 is the only one that has a IP (Ingress Protection) rating of IP67, which tests for dust intrusion and for water submersion up to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes. The other two phones do not.

goombatommy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the responses. I know what you mean and trust me - I've done my homework for weeks, almost a month or so now. I think I've narrowed it down between the One M8 and G3. I think my biggest desire is to go for something "different". I own an S3, wife owned the Fascinate and now owns a S4 and I own a Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4. I think it's time for something different.

Thanks again! Smiley Happy

Easy75

Like most comments, it ultimately comes down to your needs as far as what phone is best for you. I'll share my experience with a couple of these devices. Maybe it might help.

I was on the same boat as you recently. I previously had the S3 and also the G2. I upgraded to the G3 because based on all the research I did, I thought is was the best all around phone between all three phones you mentioned. I really liked the Knock On / Knock Code features. Screen looks great. Speakers are pretty good. Camera is great. And it's a great looking design. Even though it's plastic, it looks and feels great.

I replaced it with the Galaxy S5 a couple of days ago. And I am 100% happy with the decision. My reasons for replacing it to the S5 are:

1) The battery on the G3 I purchased was horrible. I had to charge it twice a day after leaving the house with 100% charge. I'm an average user. Don't stream much. I browse web, social media, emails, text and talk...

2) The G3 constantly overheated in the late afternoon each day

3) The G3 would overheat when using navigation or charging it while still in use

4) G3 lagged when running hot which was every day.

5) It was difficult to use with one hand. I have average size hands and even though the physical size isn't much bigger than the S5, the screen is much bigger. Reaching to the opposite end or the top/bottome of screen was a challange with one hand.

6) Althoug I know I could download other keyboards, I was disappointed about a few things on the LG smart keyboard.

A) the word suggestions don't pop up above the keyboard with word options when running Youtube, maps or typing web url's.

B) You have to delete each letter at a time instead of deleting the entire word if it types the incorrect word. Other phones like Galaxy line or HTC's allow you to delete the entire word with one press, which make things a little easier and quicker.

Some of you might figure these settings out but I tried and tried and couldn't. Even with the help from Verizon rep and LG rep.

So, here are the reasons I'm happy to have switched to the S5:

1) Battery lasts much longer than the G3 I had. Example, I left home at 8am this morning with 100% charge, it's 4:30pm and my S5 is at 70% charge. And this is without charging it again.

2) Hasn't heated on me once

3) No lag what so ever. Smooth all around

4) Screen is easier for me to use with one hand. I can reach end to end easily.

5) Feels much easier to use for me. Like, when I'm scrolling through messages or call history, I can swipe left or right to call or text

6) The camera is great as well.

7) It just feels more functionable to me for my everyday use.

😎 The screen is easier to see during daylight

Basically, I haven't found anything I dislike about this phone. Yes, it might have some features I don't need or use but what I do need and use, works great, and does what I need it to. The speakers are probably the one thing I wish were better but I don't use them often. So it makes no difference to me.

Which leads me to why I didn't get the M8. Based on my needs, I felt the only things the M8 might be superior at are the speakers, design and maybe the UI, HTC Sense (if you're into that UI). But for me, the speakers are not that important to me. I don't use my phone speakers much. Not for music or calling. The design, I don't find too important what material the phone is made out of. I always end up buying a case anyway so what's the difference (to me at least). I mean, I'd rather protect my phone investment from drops and/or potential damage so the material is irrelevant to me.

Anyway, sorry for the long comment but thought I'd just share my experience since I was in a very similar boat as you. Good luck!

0 Likes