Upgrading Android OS
RJLweb
Enthusiast - Level 2

If I buy a phone that does not have the most current version of the Android OS can I upgrade the OS?  Are OSs generic, i.e., can the same version of an OS be used on different devices?  Does a given version of an OS have to be adapted by Verizon before it can be installed on a Verizon device or can I simply install a given version directly from Android/Google myself?

I'm thinking of getting a DROID 4 and want to know what is possible.

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Upgrading Android OS
lowenuf
Enthusiast - Level 3

If you are buying the phone outright and not subsidized yes you can, but that discussion isn't allow here.  If you search for XDA developers you should find the info you need.

0 Likes
RJLweb
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm not sure I fully understand.  If I get my phone through Verizon, rather than buying it through a 3rd party, does that mean I cannot upgrade the OS unless Verizon provides the update?

What's an XDA developer?

0 Likes
lowenuf
Enthusiast - Level 3

xda-developers dot com is an android forum that can help you upgrade the

operating system

0 Likes
lowenuf
Enthusiast - Level 3

and Yes if you buy it through Verizon you are at their whim when and if

they update it.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

lowenuf wrote:

xda-developers dot com is an android forum that can help you upgrade the

operating system

And break the phone's warranty in the process.

FYI such discussion covered by that website isn't encouraged or allowed on this community.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
lowenuf
Enthusiast - Level 3

In my original response I did note that the Discussion is not allowed here. The warranty really matters if it is subsidized.

0 Likes