Update pushed out Dec 23, 2019 broke lots of things
grosserror

I received a massive update 12/23 (I presume from Verizon) for my recently purchased Samsung Galaxy A50. I consider it massive, because it started about 6:00 p.m. on 12/23, and it didn't complete until sometime during the night after I went to bed. Next morning, I woke up to find that the update messed up lots of the stuff on my new phone. It deleted the last 30 days of photos, deleted my custom icons, deleted all my security settings, Smart Lock settings and bluetooth connections, and it changed many of the settings menus. I was running Android 9 before the update, and I'm still running 9 (I was actually hoping the upate was for Android 10). What was that update all about, and why did it trash so many things on my phone? Did anyone else have to deal with this?

0 Likes
Re: Update pushed out Dec 23, 2019 broke lots of things
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The update was pushed through the Verizon Wireless network, but it was written by the manufacturer, Samsung. Which security update do you have installed on the phone? 

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/samsung-galaxy-a50-update/

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
grosserror

I just received another update yesterday, Dec 28. Following are current versions after that update. Thanks.

SECURITY:
ASKS v2.1.0 Release 190226
ADP v2.0 Release 180525
SMR Dec-2019 Release 1

Knox version:
Knox 3.3
Knox API level 28
TIMA 4.1.0

Android security patch level:
December 1, 2019

0 Likes
grosserror

SmartLock is now fried. It insists on locking the phone while in my house, despite my identifying it as a trusted location. I'm am seriously PO'd about the effects of these latest updates.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

grosserror, being on top of your equipment is vital, especially if you recently did an update. Please keep in mind that updates are intended to optimize device performance, resolve known issues and apply the latest security patches. For more details check out this link: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/samsung-galaxy-a50-update/. Please tell us, were you able to recover the deleted items? Aside from the removed elements, any other issues?

GilbertoL_VZW

0 Likes
grosserror

Thanks for your reply, but I find it offensive. I'm very aware of the importance and purpose of updates, thank you very much. FYI, this isn't my first rodeo, by a long shot.

In answer to your question, no, I was not able to recover any of the things deleted by the update. Beyond that, I'm still trying to restore the functionality of most of the things that the update changed on my phone.  IMHO, these was a very poorly executed update, and I'm still PO'd about it.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Grosserror, having issues with my device after an update is very alarming to me especially as much as I rely on my device. I will be more than happy to assist. Please share with me has the update had an effect on any other services?

RodneyM_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I would equally be concerned if I did not get all the information back too, grosserror. Can you tell me what was deleted? I can see if I can help. AmberF_VZW

0 Likes
grosserror

Thanks for asking. I  have been unable to recover the most recent 30 days worth of photos, or my custom icon pack. Although all Smart Lock settings were deleted, I have finally been able to get all of them working again after a week of trial and error. My Bluetooth and "State Farm Drive Safe and Save" app were also affected, but I have now sorted them out. The app for my Panasonic DVD player is still in limbo. There may be other problem children that I haven't yet discovered.

0 Likes
grosserror

Thanks for asking. Please see my response to AmberF_VZW. In addition to all the issues I mentioned in my reply to her, the updates also deleted the wallpaper image I was using. I took me two days on the internet to re-locate that image. It also took me two days to find an acceptable substitute for the deleted icon pack. I have been unable to re-locate the original icon pack I was using before the update.

0 Likes