Update Notification
ingramje

Ok so last night I had gotten a notification that an update was available!  I had gotten all excited!  I thought this might be the Froyo 2.2 update we've  all been waiting for!!!  So I let  it go ahead and install the update, after it had finished I went to check the current version number that I was running and it said, my Firmware version was still 2.1!!!  ARGHHH!!!!

Ok, so what happened?  Was that 'really' supposedly the 2.2 update that I was installing?  I'd already had the 2.1 version installed which I know because before I ran the update I checked to see the version that I already had and it was 2.1.  

Had version 2.2 been official released yet?  And when I go to check for updates, there are none available.  

Hope someone has some idea or thoughts ....................

Thanks,

Jeff

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Update Notification
AZSALUKI
Legend

it wasn't 2.2...this much i know. what i don't know is what device you are using (your profile says blackberry)? it could've been an update to one of your apps or to your device, but not the OS. i get "updates available" all of the time, but they are always app updates that i have on the phone. you'll know when 2.2 is realesed because there will be about 50 posts from people with problems/issues with it, the day it is done. it will also be different times for different devices. for example, the moto droid got 2.1 months before the htc eris.

0 Likes
aatonytone

if u have a droid, its probably google maps, i think i got that a few days ago.

0 Likes
ingramje

Sorry, I have an HTC Droid Eris.  No, I doubt seriously that it was an app, because it took about 15 mins. to complete and it restated the phone.  It ran alot like my original 2.1 update install ran.  I don't know what it was, but it sure got me excited!  Then I had seen where it had been posted that today WAS (at some point) the release date for 2.2, but you're right.  LOTS of people would be updating the site with all sorts of problems people are having. 

oh well!

Thanks anyways....

Jeff

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3
That was the maintenance release 4 update that is supposed to fix some of the bugs that popped up for a lot of people with the 2.1 update. The general consensus is that the Eris won't be receiving 2.2, tho that has not been officially confirmed.
0 Likes
ingramje

Oh! Ok is there a number that can identify it, just so I can tell if it completed it's install correctly? Like is there a number under Software information that can identify that update?  Like the Baseband version or the Build number?  Because the Firmware version is still 2.1.                

So the Eris is NOT going to get the update I've been waiting for?   DARN!!!  Any particular reason why not?

Thanks for the help!

Jeff

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

nothing has been released that specifically says the eris won't get 2.2, but most of the speculation is that it will be primarily for the newer devices and maybe the moto droid. it's a shame, but i believe it is getting to the point where our devices will be considered outdated by the time they are a year old. htc and vzn will have to focus on so many other devices that are still selling well that they will prolly stop focusing on the older devices. the eris will be nearly a year old by the time 2.2 is rolled out. there's just too many devices being released this summer for them to worry about the ones that came out in 2009. you can always cross your fingers though.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

not to mention that the 2.1 update to eris was a nightmare for them.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3
Firmware version 2.1 Baseband version 2.42.01.04.27 Kernal version 2.6.29-8a03cb9a Build number 2.37.605.4 CL185970 release-keys Software number 2.37.605.4 Browser version WebKit 3.1 PRI version 2.11_002 PRL version 51866 ERI version 3 As posted by lenco on androidforums As far as 2.2 goes, the only "reason" I've heard is that the eris can't handle it but some of the devs over at xda have built it into some root roms and while they're still working out the kinks, they say the eris handles it just fine.
0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3
Aw crap, sorry about the formatting, I can't get stuff to come out on separate lines using my phone.
0 Likes