Unlimited and switching phones!
clodoverizon

Ok this is a little complicated so please stay with me:

I have two lines, one for my wife and one for me. They both are grandfathered unlimited data. They both were eligible for UPGRADE. However this week we decided/persuaded to UPGRADE to the S3 and BREAK her grandfather data to a 2gb/Month plan. I love my unlimited data so I do not want to upgrade nor buy full retail price for the beautiful S3.  Now here is our question/problem:

My wife doesn't really like the S3 and I LOVE the S3, she prefers the stratosphere (4g) with the extended keyboard that she had before upgrade better and is willing to give me the S3 and keep Startosphere.  Now is there a way I can take the S3 and move it to my new line over the old 3g LG Vortex I currently use AND KEEP my UNLIMITED DATA? While my wife switches back to her old startosphere?

I really want to know. Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Unlimited and switching phones!
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

you should be able to do that; you'll need a new SIM card for the S3, though ... you can get one free at your local Corporate Verizon store

0 Likes
clodoverizon

I got a yes and no from two different stores thats why I came here. One told me if I switch I can keep my unlimited data while the other said my unlimited would be removed.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

you are 'bringing your own phone' and not signing a new two-year contract, so I wouldn't think you'd lose your unlimited ... there are several threads on this forum noting that others have successfully done what you are talking about doing if you want to do a search

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

To avoid issues, you may want to reactivate her old phone first, then move the SGSIII to your line.

AZSALUKI
Legend

activate the siii on the line that was upgraded (hers). then turn it off and reactivate her old phone on that line (which will deactivate the siii). then get a new sim card for your line (i think the siii uses a micro sim) from a verizon store and activate it. you shouldn't have any problems.

0 Likes
gr2012

I have a slight variation on the same question as the OP.  I'm on an unlimited plan, courtesy of my family.  My GF wants to switch to Verizon and get a small smartphone plan, and she likes my HTC Droid Incredible.

Is it possible for her to get a 2year contract + subsidized Galaxy S3 and then for us to switch phones (so she has my Incredible and I get her GS3) without me losing my unlimited data?

Does it change if she gets her Galaxy S3 through another intermediary (like Amazon, we don't have a local Verizon store).

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

In answer to your first question, yes, she can purchase an S3 on contract, activate your Inc and you can activate the S3 on your line without change to your plan.

Re: your second question, I don't know if Amazon and other sellers let you transfer upgrades. You have to read the fine print; sometimes there are penalties if you make changes within the first several months. You can avoid that by ordering online from Verizon.

0 Likes