Re: Unlimited Data
Not applicable

You saw them when you created your user account.  You actually agreed to abide by them.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Rinch wrote:

In this particular subject, attempts to defend Verizon's decision on data plans, by "customers" makes it appear as if the defender is Verizon and not another customer.

So educating people who are clearly uniformed on a topic means you're "defending" something and work for Verizon? I thought being informed was a GOOD thing? Explaining the technical limitations of a service is not being for or working for anyone. It's getting people to deal with reality. Is it better for people to be in the dark and think Verizon can provide a service if only they would stop being evil and greedy when the real reason is technological? How is indulging someone's conspiracy theory helpful to anyone?

hugger79

yes in deed

0 Likes
okamsrazor22
Contributor - Level 1

Yes, it is annoying that VZW has changed plans, ended promos, and upped fees in the last few years. I do agree with Brian that if a customer coming off contract does not like these changes that they change carriers to one that has current plans/promos/etc more to their liking.

Since all companies (not just VZW or wireless carriers) make these changes it is not "wrong" for Brian to suggest people look elsewhere. If you are under contract nothing will alter your contract while it is in effect. If you signed a contract two years ago expecting the same promotions, fees, etc would be in effect two years later...well that is a bit unreasonable.

I have unlimited data (and love it). Some months I use 2GB-3GB, others I use 9GB,10GB,20GB+. My average is about 6 GB a month. However, I signed for unlimited as I travel a lot and often am "in-between" wifi hotspots or by paid only wifi (such as airports).

I have seen the end of NE2, 20 month upgrades, Primary line upgrades every 12 months, Unlimited data, and the addition of many new fees. When my contract is almost over, I will review all carriers and options available to me. I will choose what works best for my needs and sign there. I may also do as Horses suggests and buy a device off contract and just keep using VZW until another carrier has a plan I like more.

There are options out there, and in the next few years VZW "It's the network" tagline will be much less meaningful then it is now. It is all about waiting for the other carriers to finish their LTE builds and see the competition heat up for retention of customers and signing of new customers take over again.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I think the correct way to state this issue is not the elimination of unlimited data.  It is the elimination of a $400+ Verizon subsidy on new phones with unlimited data, at least for now.  People who want to keep their unlimited data just need to realize the price went up about $16.67 per month.  To me, that's still a bargain any way you look at it.

0 Likes
okamsrazor22
Contributor - Level 1

It is still the elimination of the unlimited data plan, albeit only for new customers. Otherwise a new customer could buy an off contract phone and sign up for unlimited data. It is not an option any longer...hence eliminated. While unlimited lives on for those of us who have it under contract, or who are off contract but do not change the plan (aka Grandfathered) that will not last long either. I would expect "unlimited" on VZW to be officially "eliminated" by summer 2014 once those who had 2-yr contracts start in Summer 2012 end.

0 Likes
Not applicable

okamsrazor22 wrote:

It is still the elimination of the unlimited data plan, albeit only for new customers.

Unlimited data for new customers ended July 7th 2011. That's nearly 2 years ago. And honestly if Verizon had kept unlimited data for everyone you'd be here complaining about how slow the network is.

0 Likes
okamsrazor22
Contributor - Level 1

Yes, but existing customers could renew their plans in Summer of 2012. That was in conjunction with the release of the Samsung Galaxy SIII. SO many people who picked up the SIII on release were reneweing or extending their contracts until 2014 with unlimited data. I also did not "complain" about the unlimited data going away.

Please, try to keep up with what is being discussed.

0 Likes
Not applicable

That's exactly right.  Nothing changed on 6/28/2012 except keeping unlimited data got a little more expensive.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Nobody can renew or extend a contract.  Every contract expires at the end of 2 years.  Unlimited data for existing customers did not go away.  It is still there, just more expensive.  It may or may not go away in the future.

0 Likes