Re: Unlimited Data
Not applicable

I went to the original article. http://www.tmonews.com/2013/03/t-mobile-new-classic-and-prepaid-plans-classic-available-at-all-natio...

T-mobile pricing isn't any better than Verizon once you factor in the cost of the phone. If one wants unlimited data for their phone ONLY then sure maybe t-mobile is better. Most people want unlimited so they can use it as a hotspot and NONE of T-mobile's new plans offer unlimited data via hotspot. In fact the most data you can use on a hotpsot with t-mobile's unlimited data plan is 4.5 GB. At least with Share Everything you can use the hotpsot as much as you want as long as you pay for the data.

0 Likes
lvnvitman
Enthusiast - Level 3

I agree T-mobile isn't any better, but I was look at Sprint. They do not have LTE where I live yet, but it is coming, and they do offer truly unlimited data. Also if you check out http://wireless.amazon.com/?tag=hydrawireless-20 <http://wireless.amazon.com/?tag=hydrawireless-20&hvadid=3618771180&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9462651339998632&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&ref=pd_sl_7u5bxsn5q_e> &hvadid=3618771180&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9462651339998632&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&ref=pd_sl_7u5bxsn5q_e the prices for phones are incredible compared to online or in store. It really has me thinking.

0 Likes
Not applicable

And when everyone is using their unlimited 4G data they will be complaining about how slow it is. And it's slow because everyone is maxing out their 4G connections.

0 Likes
melvindeville
Contributor - Level 1

kinda off topic from what you guys are currently discussing... but partains to the original topic.... ive heard a lot of my friends say they want to go to sprint for their unlimited data... but one of my buddies moved out of our major city down state to a semi remote area for work for a few months and recently got back.. we were hangin out and he told me this story.... he said he was using his iphone 4s (he has sprint) as usual... everything was good and dandy, navigation, facebook, youtube, pandora, average stuff (for people our age) and all of the sudden his phone stopped working about 2 days in from being there. he called sprint.... they had DISCONNECTED HIS PHONE LINE.... not suspended DISCONNECTED HIS ACCOUNT.... they proceeded to tell him he was responsible for the ETF AND the "data overages" that will show up on his final bill.... apparantly he was roaming while using data... and went over 300 MBs!!!!! i heard that and was SHOCKED!!!! at least verizon tells you... you have this much data... if you need more... let us know... i had NO IDEA thats how sprint does their stuff. i honestly thought they had unlimited...

0 Likes
melvindeville
Contributor - Level 1

maybe it wasnt off topic... i just read what you were saying about sprint....i was actually considering going to sprint... but id rather be with verizon after hearing that... i only use about 4 gbs its not that bad

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

melvindeville wrote:

kinda off topic from what you guys are currently discussing... but partains to the original topic.... ive heard a lot of my friends say they want to go to sprint for their unlimited data... but one of my buddies moved out of our major city down state to a semi remote area for work for a few months and recently got back.. we were hangin out and he told me this story.... he said he was using his iphone 4s (he has sprint) as usual... everything was good and dandy, navigation, facebook, youtube, pandora, average stuff (for people our age) and all of the sudden his phone stopped working about 2 days in from being there. he called sprint.... they had DISCONNECTED HIS PHONE LINE.... not suspended DISCONNECTED HIS ACCOUNT.... they proceeded to tell him he was responsible for the ETF AND the "data overages" that will show up on his final bill.... apparantly he was roaming while using data... and went over 300 MBs!!!!! i heard that and was SHOCKED!!!! at least verizon tells you... you have this much data... if you need more... let us know... i had NO IDEA thats how sprint does their stuff. i honestly thought they had unlimited...

That's why it is "unlimited" data on Sprint. It is unlimited on their network. It isn't off their network.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

melvindeville
Contributor - Level 1

and i had tmobile in 2011 ish...living in albany NY i had netflix on my G2 and once i got to 2 gbs they would slow me down.... called them.... thought i had unlimited? yeah but we slow you down..... ok..... im good with verizon... my iphone5 is fast and awesome... yeah i only get 4gb but its good through the whole 4.... just my opinion

0 Likes
Not applicable

I keep trying to tell people no such thing as unlimited data. Yep I've known about Sprint's terms for a while. Not only do you not get 4G or even 3G while roaming you are limited to 300 MB. And since Sprint only cares about the big cities most everywhere outside of big city you will be roaming. Well MAYBE. In my area you won't get ANY Sprint serve within 40 miles of me. And the same terms apply to any carrier that uses Sprint's network like Virgin. Most people also don't know that Sprint charges $10 more per month if you want to actually use their "unlimited" data over 4G on your 4G phone.

Even t-mobile isn't truly unlimited. On the phone yes. If you want to tether that's extra and you're limited to 4.5 GB max. And that'll cost you $20 more. And it's not 4.5 GB at 4G then they drop your speed. It's 4.5 GB then your tethering is cut off. Hope no one is in the middle of an important download when that happens.

johnandroid
Enthusiast - Level 3

What do you mean smart phones back then didn't have Netflix?  The iphone has had Netflix for two or three years.  The Verizon iphone 4 and 4s were 3g phones, and had Netflix.  Then of course there was also youtube, all of Verizon's "V-CAST" streaming services, and a medley of various other data intensive apps for downloading and such.  So before you lecture me about gathering facts, get your own straight first.

As far as you saying I have no proof to back up my "theory"...this comment makes absolutely no sense, as I haven't presented any sort of theory.  It isn't my opinion that LTE networks are less costly to maintain, and much more efficient at handling data.  It's a fact.  a quick google search will return page after page of reputable sources that that will confirm this quite plainly for you.  All I'm doing is regurgitating  back what the experts have all stated.  I suppose Verizon centering their marketing campaign on their networks ability to provide these data intensive services, and even preinstalling them on their phones for you to use right out of the box is some baseless theory I just made up out of thin air as well, eh?

As far as my claim that Verizon as of now can handle still offering an unlimited plan, along with their tiered plans, I offered a link earlier that contained information regarding the average monthly usage of smarphone users that was taken only a few months back, in fall 2012, and parrots exactly what the carriers have confirmed themselves is typical usage.  Those numbers, plus the fact that many of the same bandwidth intensive apps were offered on their more costly, less efficient 3g technology, that still was yet still able to deliver those services, and maintain their profits and reputation as the top nework in the country, (along side AT&T) with nothing but the $30 unlimited plan...and you still contend Verizon can't handle an unlimited option at a higher price alongside their tiered packages, which would be what most people would likely opt for, given the average person's data usage?  If even Randall Stephenson can admit that they didn't really weren't trying to acquire T-mobile because they actually needed their spectrum...then after months, or however long it's been you've been vehemently snapping at people who come on here to voice their concerns about Verizon's policies, for reasons I can't comprehend, then I'm sure you can concede that at this point, Verizon can still easily handle having an unlimited option as well.

Not applicable

johnandroid wrote:

What do you mean smart phones back then didn't have Netflix?  The iphone has had Netflix for two or three years.  The Verizon iphone 4 and 4s were 3g phones, and had Netflix.  Then of course there was also youtube, all of Verizon's "V-CAST" streaming services, and a medley of various other data intensive apps for downloading and such.  So before you lecture me about gathering facts, get your own straight first.

I do have my facts straight. Also there was no way you could watch Netflix in HD on a 3G phones 3 years ago even if they had Netflix. If there was a Netflix app 3 years ago then prove it.

As far as you saying I have no proof to back up my "theory"...this comment makes absolutely no sense, as I haven't presented any sort of theory.  It isn't my opinion that LTE networks are less costly to maintain, and much more efficient at handling data.  It's a fact.  a quick google search will return page after page of reputable sources that that will confirm this quite plainly for you.  All I'm doing is regurgitating  back what the experts have all stated.  I suppose Verizon centering their marketing campaign on their networks ability to provide these data intensive services, and even preinstalling them on their phones for you to use right out of the box is some baseless theory I just made up out of thin air as well, eh?

Of course they are more efficient at handling data but that's not the issue.

As far as my claim that Verizon as of now can handle still offering an unlimited plan, along with their tiered plans, I offered a link earlier that contained information regarding the average monthly usage of smarphone users that was taken only a few months back, in fall 2012, and parrots exactly what the carriers have confirmed themselves is typical usage. 

Doesn't matter what the average usage is. That has been to show to constantly go up. If Verizon offers unlimited it has to assume all of their customers might max out their usage. They can't say "Well only 5% will use more than X GB of data. Because they could be wrong the network would slow down and then customers would be mad about that. Also Share Everything plans offer FREE tethering. So if Verizon offered unlimited data no doubt people would use their phones for their regular internet connection which their network cannot handle. I know if I could get unlimited data and free tethering I'd cancel my cable internet in a heartbeat and save money. Now we use as much as 250 GB a month. Now how many people like me would it take to kill the network in my area?

0 Likes